ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Two computers - one set of secreens etc. Ideas?

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have two desktop computers and would like to set up a single array of 3 monitors/keyboard/mouse (possibly other external peripherals) that can be shared at the flick of a switch.

Anyone any idea how to achieve this?

I suppose what I am looking for is a box (if possible cheap) which I can can connect to two different computers' graphics cards (preferably 4 input from each) and have multiple VGA/DVI outputs (4 preferably) and a set of USB throughput connectors - probably about 6-8 or so (not a hub which can cause problems) plus ideally traditional PC AT-style keyboard and mouse connectors.

Ideally I need something available in the UK or at least Europe to avoid stupid import fees.

lanux128:
you had something like this in mind? scancode uses this and is a happy camper.

Carol Haynes:
No I want the opposite??? That seems to make a PC multiuser.

I need 2 or 3 PCs with only one user using the same monitors and keyboard/mouse etc. flicking between systems with a switch of button board.

I suppose what I want is similar to a terminal accessing a number of servers in a rack - only I haven't got racked systems. I have standard PCs and a laptop and ideally it would be nice to have a central point to access all of them. This way I can eg. set up a server on one PC and only need a monitor/keyboard/mouse connection when I actually want to manage the server but at other times use the same peripherals on my desktop PC etc.

Stoic Joker:
Why not use Remote Desktop? I use it daily to manage several servers scattered all over town.

40hz:
Why not use Remote Desktop? I use it daily to manage several servers scattered all over town.
-Stoic Joker (May 10, 2010, 01:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

Me too. But it's more viable using it to administrate a server than it is to work alternately on two or more 'desktop' machines.

IMHO a hardware KVM solution is still the best bet. Especially if you're running heavy graphics or media apps. I'd hate to try and edit video or do music composition over an Ethernet link.

I use Synergy mainly when I want to do administrative tasks on my home network. And I'll use Remote Desktop when I'm logging onto client Windows servers. But for doing actual tasks on the three main machines I regularly use, I've found nothing works better than a KVM box.

Just my two...  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version