topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:10 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Must Login to BDJ to See All Future Deals Now  (Read 4259 times)

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Must Login to BDJ to See All Future Deals Now
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:30 AM »
Hmm... I just dropped in at Bits duJour earlier to see what deals are coming up for the next week and - I could only see a couple days of deals. They just put a lock on their Future Deals page and you must register and log in to see more than two days of deals now. No explanation given that I can find. There is a link for "more info" but it just took me to their forum where a thread about this was filled with a lot of folks complaining about having to log in and allow cookies. The admin there, Nico, mentioned that he wants to "…incentivize people to sign up and log in". Why the hell would he want to motivate people to have to log in to see his Future Deals??  (I'm not going to use that neologism Nico used!).

Jim

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Must Login to BDJ to See All Future Deals Now
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 07:21 AM »
Hmm... I just dropped in at Bits duJour earlier to see what deals are coming up for the next week and - I could only see a couple days of deals. They just put a lock on their Future Deals page and you must register and log in to see more than two days of deals now.

I noticed that, and thought it strange, annoying and pointless, unless they intend to harvest the e-mail addresses and sell them.

No explanation given that I can find. There is a link for "more info" but it just took me to their forum where a thread about this was filled with a lot of folks complaining about having to log in and allow cookies. The admin there, Nico, mentioned that he wants to "…incentivize people to sign up and log in". Why the hell would he want to motivate people to have to log in to see his Future Deals?? 

Beats me - unless you subscribe to the sinister explanation above...  I already am signed up for their weekly list, and had subscribed via two different addresses on different days to get overlapping lists.  But I would still like to see forthcoming attractions without fuss.

(I'm not going to use that neologism Nico used!).

Sound fellow!  I came across another unpleasant mangling of the language the other day - "disablism"  :(

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:53 AM »
+1 on all counts.

J-Mac

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I don’t know - he claims to never sell or give out info to any other entity; he already has my email address from the daily deal email subscription and he appears clean on that front.

Looks like he wants to run a active forum. Oh - I think I see. He mentions in his forum that he will have a record of which software apps each "member" purchased or viewed. Looks like it might be a way for him to "customize" deals for individual people. I don’t think I want yet another organization tracking where I look and what I buy so they can tailor ads to what they perceive as my interests.

Is BDJ Nico's personal company? Or is there a group backing him? Anyone know?

Thanks!

Jim

Dormouse

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 01:36 PM »
It's Iconico now isn't it?

All seems very strange to me. I'll not sign up. Might mean I lose a few progs I might otherwise buy - but I have to be around on the day anyway. Mostly it will mean less exposure for BdJ and its clients, so the decision seems quite bizarre. The forums are either worth going to or not; I can't see people being forced to them. Tracking people should already be possible through IP - but this will lead to names etc, so that might be the difference.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:03 PM »
I'll not sign up either.  I suppose Nico's doing me a favor- I'll not spend as much if I miss more! :)  And I think that Nico owns iconico (and has his own software) but don't quote me on that. 

As an aside, I remembered bugmenot.com.  There was no account there for bitsdujour.com, so I created one.  If you don't mind the cookies part, then you can use bugmenot/bugmenot to login.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 02:31 PM »
I don’t know - he claims to never sell or give out info to any other entity; he already has my email address from the daily deal email subscription and he appears clean on that front.

I haven't seen any obvious spam from Bits du Jour yet either, and I'd already signed up for weekly updates before they started this.  But I don't want to see any in future either...   >:(

Looks like it might be a way for him to "customize" deals for individual people. I don’t think I want yet another organization tracking where I look and what I buy so they can tailor ads to what they perceive as my interests.

I agree  :(  Have you noticed that people who post in BdJ's "Suggestions" are now labelled Bright Spark, Rising Star, Frequent Flyer or Superstar?  Is that supposed to make people feel good?