topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 2:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for May 7th, 2010 - "Birds of a Feather Update Together"  (Read 37788 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for May 7th, 2010
"Birds of a Feather Update Together"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Hi all, and welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder.com newsletter.  It's been less than 30 days since the last newsletter, and I'm trying to work my way back to doing them every 2 weeks, instead of the 4 week gaps that have become common.

I've updated half a dozen of my larger programs in the last week, and this newsletter marks their shift from beta to release status.  You'll find links below -- the biggest update is to Screenshot Captor, which now boasts some of the best capturing of Windows 7 and Vista semi-transparent (Aero Glass) windows you can find.

Skrommel, the legendary coding snacks coder finally gave in and has recompiled his huge collection of utilities hosted on DonationCoder, but we are still waiting for the new versions to be uploaded on his page -- I think this may be a case where we all need to nag him on the forum to show him how much we appreciate his work.  If you haven't visited it in a while, stop by his section and take a look, and send him a message telling him to update the files already!

Markham has released a new update to CircleDock, the insanely popular circular launch dock that got it's start on DC (originally coded by Eric Wong).  And DC member and programming legend Ecaradec, has posted about his latest creation, Swiffout, a browser extension that can take an in-browser flash game and let you play it full screen.

Lastly, let me mention here that I'm putting out an open invitation for anyone who wants to come over on May 22nd (Saturday) to my place in Champaign IL, for food and to play board games.  See the thread below for more details.  Social outcasts and shy non-talkers are welcome.

2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We encourage everyone's participation on the forum, regardless of your computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to dive in.

3. May 2010 Discounts

Last month we featured a discount on the VTrain vocabulary trainer, and gave some copies of it away as well.  We're pleased to announce that VTrain has agreed to extend the discount through May, for anyone who missed it in April.

4. DC Member Software Updates

This month DC members announced a few new coding snack utilities and software updates.

5. Mouser Software Updates on DC

I released a bunch of updates to my larger software programs on the site, including some major new features (like completely re-written functions for capturing Vista/Win7 Aero transparency effect by Screenshot Captor).

6. DC Member Software Updates and Mini-reviews

We also have an eclectic trio of new mini reviews posted by forum members:

7. Site/Forum Features and Discussion

There are several ongoing discussion threads about DonationCoder.com features, structure, and possible improvements.. I think we are finally reaching some agreement on our top priorities for things we want to do going forward, but we still want to hear more opinions about these things, so don't be shy!

8. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new on the world wide web? What fun new sites have forum members discovered?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Let's find out..

9. Fun, Games and Amusements on the Web

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..

10. Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem.

11. Developer's Corner

If you're not a programmer, don't let the title of this section scare you away - there's something here for everyone, even non-programmers! It's more than just a forum about software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.

12. News You Can Use

DC member Stephen6615 has been filling in for Ehtyar in posting weekly summaries of interesting tech/computer/security news articles that he comes across on the web.  He even forced me to create an archive page where you can browse through past editions.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:56 PM by mouser »

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Yes finally another newsletter!

Due to my new job I have less time for the enjoyable pastime that is browsing the donationcoder forum, so this newsletter is an excellent way to keep in touch.

IQLover

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • created in PS 4
    • View Profile
    • Lbry
    • Donate to Member
Hi Mouser, trying 2 download "DeatchVideo" from Skrommel's, but all I get is File not found on this server :-(

Can U please fix it?

Thanx Art

Loonier

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • wildly boring
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks for the newsletter - always interesting and valuable :) - and thanks for the app updates, mouser.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Lastly, let me mention here that I'm putting out an open invitation for anyone who wants to come over on May 22nd (Saturday) to my place in Champaign IL, for food and to play board games.  See the thread below for more details.  Social outcasts and shy non-talkers are welcome.

I'm Blind...where is the link regarding the above ???

apologies.....still working on a better signature :(

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

were you looking for this? DC IRLDD Board Game Night - Sat May 22nd, Champaign IL:)

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member

were you looking for this? DC IRLDD Board Game Night - Sat May 22nd, Champaign IL:)

Thanks you....I was looking for something easy like..."Gathering"   LOL  ;D

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you're welcome.. i wonder if IRLDD stands for 'In Real Life Dance and Drinks'? hehe..

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Hehe...Indeed  ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
IRLDD = In Real Life Dinner and Drinks

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
Damn; I want to attend, and the wife as well  :(

We will make meet in the future  :-[

Unless Mouser was serious about abduction mentioned a week or so ago  8)

Oh, and Mouser....there is something I do not do; Manuel  ;D  :P

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks as ever for the newsletter  :Thmbsup:

Hi Mouser, trying 2 download "DeatchVideo" from Skrommel's, but all I get is File not found on this server :-(

Can U please fix it?

Thanx Art

Skrommel, the legendary coding snacks coder finally gave in and has recompiled his huge collection of utilities hosted on DonationCoder, but we are still waiting for the new versions to be uploaded on his page -- I think this may be a case where we all need to nag him on the forum to show him how much we appreciate his work.  If you haven't visited it in a while, stop by his section and take a look, and send him a message telling him to update the files already!
-First Post

in the meantime you could use the AHK version (click on the [H] icon below the DetachVideo link & save as a .ahk file). You'll need the AutoHotkey programme as well - if you're not using it & you need help, just ask !
Tom

artkaye

• Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Birds of a Feather Update Together? What a title! The question is as far as Windows 7 is concerned we cannot be birds of a feather. I am still hooked on XP.
Nevertheless this issue packs punch. Thanks.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
as far as Windows 7 is concerned we cannot be birds of a feather. I am still hooked on XP.
-atrkaye

:) A lot of us still run XP.
My guess is that the title alludes to the fact that mouser updated a group of his own programs at the same time.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Skrommel, the legendary coding snacks coder finally gave in and has recompiled his huge collection of utilities hosted on DonationCoder, but we are still waiting for the new versions to be uploaded on his page -- I think this may be a case where we all need to nag him on the forum to show him how much we appreciate his work.  If you haven't visited it in a while, stop by his section and take a look, and send him a message telling him to update the files already!

Does he need to write a coding snack to compile and upload his coding snacks?  :D

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
as far as Windows 7 is concerned we cannot be birds of a feather. I am still hooked on XP.
-atrkaye

:) A lot of us still run XP.
My guess is that the title alludes to the fact that mouser updated a group of his own programs at the same time.

-cranioscopical (May 10, 2010, 08:45 AM)

I loved Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000, from a personal and professional aspect, but I have lived long enough to see the death of 8 bit and 16 bit. the death of 32 bit is just the signal of 64 bit; The next step in tech evolution.
Do not mourn the loss of great software, celebrate the possibilities to come  8)

As we all move forward in technology, so to do we all learn and expand....even those that still use XP. They watch, grow, and learn in what is happening today....in this; we are all birds a a feather, we update "together" whether we know if or not  ;)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
As we all move forward in technology, so to do we all learn and expand....even those that still use XP. They watch, grow, and learn in what is happening today....in this; we are all birds a a feather
So, you think that we're entering a plum age? I'll write that down.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Donate to Member
So, you think that we're entering a plum age?
-cranioscopical (May 12, 2010, 12:20 PM)

???  :huh:

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Great title! Very nice example of literary elusion...  ;)

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So, you think that we're entering a plum age?
-cranioscopical (May 12, 2010, 12:20 PM)

???  :huh:

plumage = plum age

Zigfried

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wow my first newsletter and loving it ;D

maureen

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile