Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site December 22, 2014, 03:55:27 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Read the full one-year retrospective report on DonationCoder.com.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Newsletter for May 7th, 2010 - "Birds of a Feather Update Together"  (Read 15689 times)
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: May 07, 2010, 07:43:49 PM »

Newsletter for May 7th, 2010
"Birds of a Feather Update Together"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Hi all, and welcome to another edition of the DonationCoder.com newsletter.  It's been less than 30 days since the last newsletter, and I'm trying to work my way back to doing them every 2 weeks, instead of the 4 week gaps that have become common.

I've updated half a dozen of my larger programs in the last week, and this newsletter marks their shift from beta to release status.  You'll find links below -- the biggest update is to Screenshot Captor, which now boasts some of the best capturing of Windows 7 and Vista semi-transparent (Aero Glass) windows you can find.

Skrommel, the legendary coding snacks coder finally gave in and has recompiled his huge collection of utilities hosted on DonationCoder, but we are still waiting for the new versions to be uploaded on his page -- I think this may be a case where we all need to nag him on the forum to show him how much we appreciate his work.  If you haven't visited it in a while, stop by his section and take a look, and send him a message telling him to update the files already!

Markham has released a new update to CircleDock, the insanely popular circular launch dock that got it's start on DC (originally coded by Eric Wong).  And DC member and programming legend Ecaradec, has posted about his latest creation, Swiffout, a browser extension that can take an in-browser flash game and let you play it full screen.

Lastly, let me mention here that I'm putting out an open invitation for anyone who wants to come over on May 22nd (Saturday) to my place in Champaign IL, for food and to play board games.  See the thread below for more details.  Social outcasts and shy non-talkers are welcome.

2. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We encourage everyone's participation on the forum, regardless of your computer knowledge or how long you've been a DC member. If you're still waiting to make your first post, see the links below for some good places to dive in.

3. May 2010 Discounts

Last month we featured a discount on the VTrain vocabulary trainer, and gave some copies of it away as well.  We're pleased to announce that VTrain has agreed to extend the discount through May, for anyone who missed it in April.

4. DC Member Software Updates

This month DC members announced a few new coding snack utilities and software updates.

5. Mouser Software Updates on DC

I released a bunch of updates to my larger software programs on the site, including some major new features (like completely re-written functions for capturing Vista/Win7 Aero transparency effect by Screenshot Captor).

6. DC Member Software Updates and Mini-reviews

We also have an eclectic trio of new mini reviews posted by forum members:

7. Site/Forum Features and Discussion

There are several ongoing discussion threads about DonationCoder.com features, structure, and possible improvements.. I think we are finally reaching some agreement on our top priorities for things we want to do going forward, but we still want to hear more opinions about these things, so don't be shy!

8. Website Discoveries, Debates, and Discussions

What's new on the world wide web? What fun new sites have forum members discovered?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Let's find out..

9. Fun, Games and Amusements on the Web

If you've read the newsletter up to this point, take a break and check out some of the lighter fare from the forum - humour, videos, and games..

10. Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem.

11. Developer's Corner

If you're not a programmer, don't let the title of this section scare you away - there's something here for everyone, even non-programmers! It's more than just a forum about software development, it's also where we discuss web design, entrepreneurial struggles, and general productivity issues.  It's great to see that the section has been pretty active recently.

12. News You Can Use

DC member Stephen6615 has been filling in for Ehtyar in posting weekly summaries of interesting tech/computer/security news articles that he comes across on the web.  He even forced me to create an archive page where you can browse through past editions.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 10:56:55 PM by mouser » Logged
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 08:17:11 PM »

Yes finally another newsletter!

Due to my new job I have less time for the enjoyable pastime that is browsing the donationcoder forum, so this newsletter is an excellent way to keep in touch.
IQLover
Charter Member

created in PS 4

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:16:31 AM »

Hi Mouser, trying 2 download "DeatchVideo" from Skrommel's, but all I get is File not found on this server :-(

Can U please fix it?

Thanx Art

Loonier
Charter Member

wildly boring

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »

Thanks for the newsletter - always interesting and valuable smiley - and thanks for the app updates, mouser.
sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 11:01:28 PM »

Lastly, let me mention here that I'm putting out an open invitation for anyone who wants to come over on May 22nd (Saturday) to my place in Champaign IL, for food and to play board games.  See the thread below for more details.  Social outcasts and shy non-talkers are welcome.

I'm Blind...where is the link regarding the above ???

apologies.....still working on a better signature Sad
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 11:06:14 PM »

were you looking for this? DC IRLDD Board Game Night - Sat May 22nd, Champaign ILsmiley

sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 11:07:54 PM »

were you looking for this? DC IRLDD Board Game Night - Sat May 22nd, Champaign ILsmiley

Thanks you....I was looking for something easy like..."Gathering"   LOL  Grin
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 11:14:58 PM »

you're welcome.. i wonder if IRLDD stands for 'In Real Life Dance and Drinks'? hehe..

sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 01:39:57 AM »

Hehe...Indeed  Wink
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 01:49:00 AM »

IRLDD = In Real Life Dinner and Drinks
sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 02:08:50 AM »

Damn; I want to attend, and the wife as well  Sad

We will make meet in the future  embarassed

Unless Mouser was serious about abduction mentioned a week or so ago  Cool

Oh, and Mouser....there is something I do not do; Manuel  Grin  tongue
tomos
Charter Member

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 04:14:05 PM »

thanks as ever for the newsletter  Thmbsup

Hi Mouser, trying 2 download "DeatchVideo" from Skrommel's, but all I get is File not found on this server :-(

Can U please fix it?

Thanx Art

Quote from: First Post
Skrommel, the legendary coding snacks coder finally gave in and has recompiled his huge collection of utilities hosted on DonationCoder, but we are still waiting for the new versions to be uploaded on his page -- I think this may be a case where we all need to nag him on the forum to show him how much we appreciate his work.  If you haven't visited it in a while, stop by his section and take a look, and send him a message telling him to update the files already!

in the meantime you could use the AHK version (click on the [H] icon below the DetachVideo link & save as a .ahk file). You'll need the AutoHotkey programme as well - if you're not using it & you need help, just ask !

Tom
artkaye

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2010, 02:48:31 AM »

Birds of a Feather Update Together? What a title! The question is as far as Windows 7 is concerned we cannot be birds of a feather. I am still hooked on XP.
Nevertheless this issue packs punch. Thanks.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:52 AM »

Quote from: atrkaye
as far as Windows 7 is concerned we cannot be birds of a feather. I am still hooked on XP.

smiley A lot of us still run XP.
My guess is that the title alludes to the fact that mouser updated a group of his own programs at the same time.

Chris
daddydave
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:38:45 AM »

Skrommel, the legendary coding snacks coder finally gave in and has recompiled his huge collection of utilities hosted on DonationCoder, but we are still waiting for the new versions to be uploaded on his page -- I think this may be a case where we all need to nag him on the forum to show him how much we appreciate his work.  If you haven't visited it in a while, stop by his section and take a look, and send him a message telling him to update the files already!

Does he need to write a coding snack to compile and upload his coding snacks?  cheesy

If bad things happen to other people, it's karma. If bad things happen to me, it's kismat!
sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2010, 10:48:49 AM »

Quote from: atrkaye
as far as Windows 7 is concerned we cannot be birds of a feather. I am still hooked on XP.

smiley A lot of us still run XP.
My guess is that the title alludes to the fact that mouser updated a group of his own programs at the same time.

I loved Windows XP Pro and Windows 2000, from a personal and professional aspect, but I have lived long enough to see the death of 8 bit and 16 bit. the death of 32 bit is just the signal of 64 bit; The next step in tech evolution.
Do not mourn the loss of great software, celebrate the possibilities to come  Cool

As we all move forward in technology, so to do we all learn and expand....even those that still use XP. They watch, grow, and learn in what is happening today....in this; we are all birds a a feather, we update "together" whether we know if or not  Wink
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2010, 12:20:23 PM »

As we all move forward in technology, so to do we all learn and expand....even those that still use XP. They watch, grow, and learn in what is happening today....in this; we are all birds a a feather
So, you think that we're entering a plum age? I'll write that down.

Chris
sgtevmckay
Supporting Member

Magis Esse

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2010, 12:36:18 PM »

So, you think that we're entering a plum age?

???  huh
40hz
Supporting Member

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2010, 12:37:44 PM »

Great title! Very nice example of literary elusion...  Wink

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
daddydave
Supporting Member

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2010, 03:48:01 PM »

So, you think that we're entering a plum age?

???  huh

plumage = plum age

If bad things happen to other people, it's karma. If bad things happen to me, it's kismat!
Zigfried
Participant

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 09:55:33 AM »

wow my first newsletter and loving it Grin
maureen
Supporting Member

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 06:29:31 AM »

saying Hi to you all from Europe, these boards look cosy, nice friends here
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print