ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SRWare Iron 5.0.380 beta browser

<< < (10/13) > >>

lanux128:
It's almost kinda' creepy. I'm running Chrome dev. channel.  The updates are so silent, the only way I can tell what version I have is to look in the about box.  Although now and then an extension stops working.  Still, it's way less intrusive than FF updates.-MilesAhead (September 22, 2010, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

it does sound creepy since you put it that way. maybe an optional tray tip wouldn't hurt, i guess.. :) 

MilesAhead:
It's great as long as nothing breaks.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead:
It's almost kinda' creepy. I'm running Chrome dev. channel.  The updates are so silent, the only way I can tell what version I have is to look in the about box.  Although now and then an extension stops working.  Still, it's way less intrusive than FF updates.-MilesAhead (September 22, 2010, 06:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

it does sound creepy since you put it that way. maybe an optional tray tip wouldn't hurt, i guess.. :) 
-lanux128 (September 22, 2010, 09:25 PM)
--- End quote ---

I think I found a happy medium:

http://build.chromium.org/buildbot/snapshots/chromium-rel-xp/62116/

There are newer nightly builds but this one is working nicely.  I got the zip not the installer.
I removed Chrome 7.x dev I was using and got rid of google updater.  I also looked in the
registry for the supposed hidden unique ID.  I couldn't find it under the reputed keys. I'm
hoping this means they really got rid of it in Chromium.

I just logging into my sync.  The only thing that didn't work off the bat was Speed Dial.
But I copied the Local Storage folder from Chrome 7 and that got me going without redoing
the dials.

Supposedly this has hardware acceleration on by default. I don't notice any difference.
Either it's off or I have a crappy video card or both. :)

Other than that, everything seems to work great. Now I don't have to worry that
silent update will hose stuff that works just for the thrill of updating.

All I did to "install" wan unzip the file to its own folder and make a shortcut.
Some settings I got from chrome 7.x.  About the only thing I had to update
manually was the search engine settings.

You may want to get all your extensions running and leave the old chrome on for a few days
until you see how stable 8 is for you. In 2 days I haven't gotten a crash dialog though. Seems
smooth.

lanux128:
new version based on Chromium 7 is now available.. among others there is a beta GPU-supported rendering. this can be enabled via a cmd-line parameter: --enable-accelerated-compositing. haven't tried that though..

• http://www.srware.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1903

Eóin:
Ooooooh, thanks for the update  :-*

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version