topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:43 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: SRWare Iron 5.0.380 beta browser  (Read 33010 times)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SRWare Iron 5.0.380 beta browser
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 05:53 PM »
@lanux128:
Some folks have reported that upgrading the Logitech mouse driver solved their Chrome/Iron issue:

http://www.srware.ne...hp?t=1115&p=3545
http://www.google.co...df4dc46579&hl=en

Thankfully, in my case I didn't have to go that route.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2010, 01:21 AM »
Unfortunately, I'm not exactly sure what change I made to "fix" the mouse issue. Strange as I know this is gonna sound--try running Iron in Sandboxie to see if there's any change in mouse function. All I know is it worked for me.

@sajman99: thanks for the tips and links. glad to know that there are possible solutions. actually i gave up on logitech drivers long ago and currently am using generic drivers. so i might check out Sandboxie 'fix' if my fiddling with the settings doesn't pan out. btw, i'm using the Smooth Scroll extension as well.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2010, 03:56 PM »
Aaarrrggghhh!!! Ok, stone me.  Put me in the stocks and throw tomatoes.. but I couldn't take it anymore!! Installed Google Chrome Beta so I could use LastPass.  Running Firefox just to sync passwords is crazy!! :)

It took me a few minutes fooling around to get multiple accounts on the same site to work, but at least it does. Not as smooth as Secure Login Firefox AddOn but at least it works. :)

edit: the other thing I notice is Chrome 5 Beta seems to load the pages a bit smoother.  Not as bad a ripple effect when loading a long page.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 05:16 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2010, 03:00 PM »
btw Adblock.ini doesn't work for chrome but Adblock Lite seems pretty cool. Install the hit the "update default filters" button and you're good to go.  The other thing I notice is AutoCopy extension seems a lot more accurate.  In Iron I had to keep guessing where the start dragging the mouse cursor to select text for copy.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2010, 09:20 PM »
coming from firefox where one has a variety of configuration options, i wonder if Iron has an about:config equivalent?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 15, 2010, 01:16 AM »
I think Adblock.ini is an Iron only thing.. if that's what you mean. At least every search hit I got on the web how to use it said Iron.  So far Adblock Lite seems to work and it's a no brainer to configure.  The place in the page where the ad would be is just blank rather than a box with a red x... doesn't seem to distort the page.  So far so good.

I really like ClickCutter AutoCopy in Firefox, at least as to how it functioned.  But the nag tool tip really got on my nerves. I had to put the original AutoCopy back on.  Every time I started Firefox I got the popup asking me to buy ClickCutter.  Sheesh!!

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 05:23 AM »
every time when i close the last tab in Iron, the whole program closes. i understand that this behaviour is carried over from Chrome but there should be a fix for this by now.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 11:35 AM »
every time when i close the last tab in Iron, the whole program closes. i understand that this behaviour is carried over from Chrome but there should be a fix for this by now.

Yeah, that is annoying.

Right now I'm running 6.0.401.1 dev version of Chrome.  Don't really see any difference and I'm not sure what the new features are supposed to be unless it's plugins.  Seems a tad snappier, but it seems like any time you install a new browser version stuff snaps open the first couple of days.  So far it seems stable.  Guess I have to see what the plugin deal is about.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 11:38 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 12:34 PM »
Supposedly this "run once" utility will strip the unique ID out of your Chrome install.  The link to it is on on Chrome forums extensions:

http://www.abelssoft.net/unchrome.php

I just ran it and nothing exploded is all I can say so far. :)

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Hmmm...looks like 5.0.380 is now out of beta?

Well, time to check out the portable version and see if there are any noticeable improvements. Hope the annoying mouse issue has been addressed (or at least I'm lucky enough to work around it).

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 05:37 PM »
I'm on Chrome 6.0.427.0.  Also up to 6 extensions(because I gave in and started using Speed-Dial.)  So far the only weird thing is I get the spinning wheel mouse cursor at times.

You must be running close to bare bones afa extensions go?

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2010, 01:56 PM »
...You must be running close to bare bones afa extensions go?
Yeah, admittedly I haven't looked into many extensions yet. So far I'm just interested in Iron as an alternative browser because it's got good speed and they offer a portable build.

Looks like the way it's going with extensions Chrome/Iron will be a Firefox clone in no time. Kinda funny how some folks go extensions crazy and choke the browser to death. I've seen posts on other forums where someone is tweaking away to achieve browser speed all the while running 30+ extensions. Duh!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2010, 04:10 PM »
If I had to I could probably get by with 3.  LastPass, XMarks and AdThwart.  The first 2 I may be able to lose if I didn't still use Firefox.  Just use the built-in google sync. I'm not sure if it does passwords as well as bookmarks. I haven't set up a google account mainly because every now and then I try to cross sync all the stuff so I'll have it in Firefox.

But the single exe browser is next to dead. Many dislike the idea of running 1/2 dozen processes to do one job, but Everyone hates waiting for the app to get up off the disk.  They're all following suit now.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 11:29 PM »
there is a new version based on Chromium 6 and the stable Iron version is now 6.0.475, i'm downloading it.

http://www.srware.ne....php?f=18&t=1731

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: September 21, 2010, 12:27 AM »
Yes, portable Iron 6.0.475 is running here without issue.

Fanboy's Adblock List now has specialized lists for both SRWare Iron and Opera.

Iron subjectively feels marginally faster than Opera on my machine, but both browsers load very quickly. With both browsers the user can now have a clutter-free (ie. no ads 8)) browsing experience. :)

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: September 21, 2010, 09:52 AM »
I'm running the new Iron too and loving it. It seems to have finally incorporated the fix for image loading timeouts, for me at least!

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: September 21, 2010, 02:26 PM »
btw I had forgotten about the Logitech mouse issue I was having because I could use Sandboxie to avoid erratic mouse movement.

I just checked Iron before loading Sandboxie and the mouse issue no longer exists. Finally! Looks like many earlier issues have been ironed out (no pun intended ;)).

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: September 21, 2010, 04:07 PM »
Already 6.0.475.1? :o  You gotta be kidding me? Those Iron guys are making it hard to stay current.

http://www.srware.ne....php?f=18&t=1731

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: September 21, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Already 6.0.475.1? :o  You gotta be kidding me? Those Iron guys are making it hard to stay current.

maybe self-updaters won't be far off. hopefully it will be non-intrusive internal updates..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: September 22, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Already 6.0.475.1? :o  You gotta be kidding me? Those Iron guys are making it hard to stay current.

maybe self-updaters won't be far off. hopefully it will be non-intrusive internal updates..

It's almost kinda' creepy. I'm running Chrome dev. channel.  The updates are so silent, the only way I can tell what version I have is to look in the about box.  Although now and then an extension stops working.  Still, it's way less intrusive than FF updates.

Currently I'm running:

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: September 22, 2010, 09:25 PM »
It's almost kinda' creepy. I'm running Chrome dev. channel.  The updates are so silent, the only way I can tell what version I have is to look in the about box.  Although now and then an extension stops working.  Still, it's way less intrusive than FF updates.

it does sound creepy since you put it that way. maybe an optional tray tip wouldn't hurt, i guess.. :) 

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: September 22, 2010, 10:31 PM »
It's great as long as nothing breaks.   :Thmbsup:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2010, 11:20 AM »

it does sound creepy since you put it that way. maybe an optional tray tip wouldn't hurt, i guess.. :) 

I think I found a happy medium:

http://build.chromiu...romium-rel-xp/62116/

There are newer nightly builds but this one is working nicely.  I got the zip not the installer.
I removed Chrome 7.x dev I was using and got rid of google updater.  I also looked in the
registry for the supposed hidden unique ID.  I couldn't find it under the reputed keys. I'm
hoping this means they really got rid of it in Chromium.

I just logging into my sync.  The only thing that didn't work off the bat was Speed Dial.
But I copied the Local Storage folder from Chrome 7 and that got me going without redoing
the dials.

Supposedly this has hardware acceleration on by default. I don't notice any difference.
Either it's off or I have a crappy video card or both. :)

Other than that, everything seems to work great. Now I don't have to worry that
silent update will hose stuff that works just for the thrill of updating.

All I did to "install" wan unzip the file to its own folder and make a shortcut.
Some settings I got from chrome 7.x.  About the only thing I had to update
manually was the search engine settings.

You may want to get all your extensions running and leave the old chrome on for a few days
until you see how stable 8 is for you. In 2 days I haven't gotten a crash dialog though. Seems
smooth.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SRWare Iron 7.0.520.0 (based on Chromium 7)
« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2010, 10:46 PM »
new version based on Chromium 7 is now available.. among others there is a beta GPU-supported rendering. this can be enabled via a cmd-line parameter: --enable-accelerated-compositing. haven't tried that though..

http://www.srware.ne....php?f=18&t=1903

Eóin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2010, 02:10 AM »
Ooooooh, thanks for the update  :-*