ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Samsung bada IDE and SDK released

(1/1)

Renegade:
I just got the official Samsung announcement, so I can FINALLY start blabbing about a lot of this stuff as it is now public! YEAH~! :D

My quick take on it:

Samsung bada IDE and bada SDK released

The official bada release announcement:

Official Samsung announcement

I've been waiting for this for quite a while now.

For anyone doing mobile development, you should really check out bada as it's Samsung's new mobile platform going forward. It's going to be massive.

The IDE is Eclipse based and the SDK is for C++, so it's all pretty standard and easy to get up to speed on.

There are a large number of really high-level tools in the SDK to get things done quickly. A few of the cooler ones include:

* SNS (social networking service) -- Twitter, etc.
* LBS (location based services) -- Geolocation and geocoding, etc.
* Web browser control
* Flash control
* Mapping services
* Buddy services
* High-level networking and low-level networking control
* Bluetooth
* Wi-Fi
* Sensor controls (magnetic, GPS, weather, etc.)
* TouchWiz UI controls
* Application control (controlling native device applications from your own software)

Unlike the iPhone, bada is much more open and you don't have Samsung bashing you over the head like Apple does.

There's also a $2,700,000 competition for developers:

bada Developer Challenge

The grand prize is $300,000 and there are a lot of other prizes as well.

I've already got a good amount of experience with bada, so if anyone has any questions, I can probably help out some. 

mouser:
It's a long shot, but maybe renegade you could contact them on behalf of DC and see if they might be willing to give us a few of the phones we could give away to coders on DC who would participate?

Stoic Joker:
...And the wife wants to go phone shopping tomorrow - Me put Samsung at top of list now.

Stoic Joker:
So outside of the wave mentioned on your site, how do I know if a phone is using the Bada platform?

UI Looks like Waves?
It'll have a Logo?
The pedestal keeps wiggling?

Renegade:
It's a long shot, but maybe renegade you could contact them on behalf of DC and see if they might be willing to give us a few of the phones we could give away to coders on DC who would participate?
-mouser (May 07, 2010, 06:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

It probably is a very long shot, but I'll see what I can do. I really only know people in Samsung MSC, and not anyone in the marketing department. Do you have any ideas on "I scratch your back, you scratch mine?" I think I kind of need a pitch to go to them with. (Maybe PM me with that?)

@Stoic Joker -- Not sure. The bada site will list them I'm sure, but as for the products at retail, I guess that they'd label the package, but again, not sure.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version