I just got the official Samsung announcement, so I can FINALLY start blabbing about a lot of this stuff as it is now public! YEAH~!
My quick take on it: Samsung bada IDE and bada SDK released
The official bada release announcement: Official Samsung announcement
I've been waiting for this for quite a while now.
For anyone doing mobile development, you should really check out bada as it's Samsung's new mobile platform going forward. It's going to be massive.
The IDE is Eclipse based and the SDK is for C++, so it's all pretty standard and easy to get up to speed on.
There are a large number of really high-level tools in the SDK to get things done quickly. A few of the cooler ones include:
* SNS (social networking service) -- Twitter, etc.
* LBS (location based services) -- Geolocation and geocoding, etc.
* Web browser control
* Flash control
* Mapping services
* Buddy services
* High-level networking and low-level networking control
* Sensor controls (magnetic, GPS, weather, etc.)
* TouchWiz UI controls
* Application control (controlling native device applications from your own software)
Unlike the iPhone, bada is much more open and you don't have Samsung bashing you over the head like Apple does.
There's also a $2,700,000 competition for developers: bada Developer Challenge
The grand prize is $300,000 and there are a lot of other prizes as well.
I've already got a good amount of experience with bada, so if anyone has any questions, I can probably help out some.