topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Need ADH Advice  (Read 27024 times)

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Need ADH Advice
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2010, 02:19 PM »
Does AHK GUI support forcing a window to stay on top?

Thanks -- Vincent

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2010, 11:10 PM »
Does AHK GUI support forcing a window to stay on top?

yes, you can by adding the following code, anywhere within the Gui section. preferably before Gui, Show.
Gui, +AlwaysOnTop

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2010, 11:33 PM »
From a GUI perspective, I'd say this little tool, which I call WhoseWindow, is perfect now.

But there is one deep problem that remains, which I suspect is not possible to fix: In three cases the answer to "whose window" is so generic as to have limited usefulness, explorer, rundll and svchost.

Can someone think of a way to get more specific information in any or all of these cases? (Probably to be displayed in the info window as an additional line.)

Thanks -- Vincent

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2010, 11:35 PM »
yes, you can by adding the following code, anywhere within the Gui section. preferably before Gui, Show.
Gui, +AlwaysOnTop

Many thanks. I looked at the help file GUI entry for quite some time and couldn't find AlwaysOnTop. (Probably due to not knowing how to do a search within help text.)

Vincent

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2010, 02:10 AM »
Can someone think of a way to get more specific information in any or all of these cases? (Probably to be displayed in the info window as an additional line.)

What sort of specific information are you wanting?  Let us know and I'm sure we can come up with something or, at the very least, let you know that we can't.

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2010, 06:09 PM »

What sort of specific information are you wanting?  Let us know and I'm sure we can come up with something or, at the very least, let you know that we can't.

Well in the case of rundll and scvhost, I want to know the name of the DLL file it is running. I don't know the answer with explorer.exe -- there are all sorts of services which spawn processes/windows under the explorer banner, but I don't know how to name them. Are they separate DLL files, just some subroutine within a humongous explore.exe or something else?

Thanks -- Vincent

Kruskal

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2010, 08:31 PM »
Well in the case of rundll and scvhost, I want to know the name of the DLL file it is running. I don't know the answer with explorer.exe -- there are all sorts of services which spawn processes/windows under the explorer banner, but I don't know how to name them. Are they separate DLL files, just some subroutine within a humongous explore.exe or something else?

ProcessExplorer shows the following when holding the cursor over the process name:

rundll:    Rundll target (path and description)
svchost:  Services (and a list of service names)
explorer: Nothing special

Vincent