ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

an entire drive suddenly missing!

(1/4) > >>

Curt:
What do you do when Windows suddenly tells you that it has discovered a new USB device (my "G-drive"), but it will need to search for a new driver, and the USB drive isn't formatted, "would you like to format now?"? I KNOW this is not "a new device", and i KNOW it IS formatted, because we are talking about my backup drive that I have been using for maybe two years! Windows asked me to navigate to any driver suitable, but 'we' couldn't find the proper one. Somewhere I may still have the installation-CD for this USB hard drive, but I am not sure - haven't found it yet. Am I in a great risk of loosing my backups? I am really worried about this "not formatted" thing.

mouser:
you have reason to be concerned.. sometimes this means that the file tables on the hard drive have been corrupted.  it goes without saying that you should NOT let windows format the drive in any way.

have you tried unplugging it and re-plugging it in?

MerleOne:
You have to see if it's recognized, even non formated in windows disk management (execute, diskmgmt.msc, enter). If yes, try loading easeus or active partition recovery to make an image (if possible) or recover files right away.  Alternatively, try Partition Find and Mount to see if the former partition is seen, then backup files asap.

Sometimes, a few bad blocks in the partition table cause just that.  Try also running HDTune to see if there are some physical errors.  If yes, try imaging the drive before it degrades further.  Then use something like spinrite, HDD Regen (demo version) or DRevitalize to try to repair the bad blocks.

f0dder:
If Windows tells you it needs a new driver, something is pretty wrong. I'd suspect wonky USB ports or electronics in the drive enclosure before blaming corrupted filesystem on the drive. Try some different USB cables and ports, and if that fails, try getting the disk out of the enclosure and testing it connected directly inside your machine.

Then use something like spinrite-MerleOne (May 06, 2010, 08:24 AM)
--- End quote ---
Don't.

Curt:
Sorry; false alarm!

I closed Windows, unplugged and re-plugged the cables, booted again, and the problem was gone.

:-\

Edited:
I see that was what mouser suggested while I was off-line. Thanks!  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version