topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:16 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Clipboard Managing-Which one?  (Read 28779 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Clipboard Managing-Which one?
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2010, 10:22 AM »
Mouser's Clipboard Help and Spell. Both are great if you need to categorize your clips, but in my experience the price for this is some encumbrance in accessing individual pieces of text. [...]

Ditto is awesome if you don't care about categories, but just want to bring back previous clips with minimum keypresses (and no mouse). The instant incremental search really shines, especially in that it works transparently with substrings (while ClipMate scans only from the beginning of the string IIRC).

When you bring up the main window in recent versions of CHS, the focus is on the "Search" box, and it works the way you say Ditto does: i.e. finds substrings.

@everybody wanting CHS / FARR integration: have you checked this feature yet?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 10:41 AM by rjbull »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2010, 10:33 AM »
Mostly, I only want to retain clipboard history for a while, and have it deleted on FIFO basis.
This is true for me most of the time, and ClipMate makes this very easy.   

It's a feature I can't see in CLCL, and one of the reasons why I rarely use the latter.  Also true of the old free version of ClipCache, though the current payware version is much more sophisticated.

I value very highly ClipMate's "powerpaste" feature; this permits me to take a bunch of clips and paste them into a document in sequence just by hitting CTL-V.

I never really got into ClipMate, but that sounds a potentially useful feature.  Some of the freewares have something similar, e.g. ArsClip's Form Mode, though I've never used it.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2010, 10:39 AM »
As someone who uses text clips (not images) quite intensively, I can recommend this combination:

My combination at work was ArsClip and CHS, though at home I mostly just use the latter.

ArsClip (Very good). Saves images and text.

True, but it has a default setting to not save non-text clips above a certain size.  I can't remember the default, but recommend users check it's big enough to fit their needs and adjust if necessary.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2010, 10:40 AM »
When I looked, I found ClipMate the best, and I've never seen anything to give me any cause to reconsider.
+1

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2010, 11:37 AM »
There are no many options when you need share clip on the net.

Ditto is the best

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 08, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I know this isn't what was mentioned, but I figure there are enough knowledgeable people looking here that maybe someone could help me with a similar request.  I am in a situation where I have several clips I need to paste in various fields in an online form.  It doesn't need to remain in memory beyond that particular set of pastes, but it does need to remain available while that set of clips is being used.  What I am looking for is a very simple way to use ctrl-c to copy them into predefined slots not unlike Ditto, CHS, etc.  Then, use an easy to reach keyboard shortcut to retrieve them from these slots (ctrl-1 for slot one, for example).  What I don't want (that all these have) is mandatory view of all the clips.  I want this to work behind the scenes (though being able to bring up a sample in case you forget what is where may be useful, just not default or mandatory to recover clips).

Probably the best way I can think of to accomplish this would be where I highlight what I want copied then press ctrl-c.  Then I highlight the next piece and press ctrl-c, then the next until I have them all copied.  Once they are copied, I can go back and press ctrl-1 to paste that in, then ctrl-2 to paste that in, etc.  Once it is all done, when I press ctrl-c next time, it overwrites slot 1 with the new data.  Alternatively there could be a hotkey for clearing the clipboard.

As implied, Ditto, ArsClip, etc. will accomplish this, in fact I use Ditto now.  However, I find it tedious to copy it into the database, call up the database, then go to where I want to paste it and double click on the desired clip to get it to paste.  In Ditto, the global quick-clips help but don't work quite right.  For one thing, it doesn't work if the database isn't open (even though it should from what I read).  Anyone know of anything like this?

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 08, 2010, 12:55 PM »
@steeladept,

Apologies for this presumptuous suggestion but aside from hotkeys, isn't that what mouser's Form Letter Machine does?

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 08, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Don't really know.  Never considered trying that for this application.  I just assumed it was a situation where you would write a letter and identify fields that would be then filled by a database entry.

I am looking to copy data from one program into another program's fields.

I will check it out now....

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2010, 01:33 PM »
@steeladept: CCCCtrlC may be a possibility for you. You might check it out if you haven't already.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 01:52 PM by daddydave »

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 02:10 PM »
I was right on the Form Letter Machine.  I can't just copy data to it and then paste it in another application - at least not from what I saw.  So far, Ditto is the closest to what I am looking for.

Forgot about CCCCtrlC.  That might be it.  Thanks.

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Not exactly what I envisioned, but it will definitely work.  So far CCCCtrlC is the best alternative I have used.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2010, 05:51 AM »
Please note that I have updated the post Re: Clipboard Managing-Which one?.
UPDATE 2010-12-23: I just found ClipGuru v2.9.0 as at 2010-03-10 on freewarefiles.com.
I have also saved this for people to download from Box.net in case it goes from freewarefiles.com.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2010, 05:53 AM by IainB »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2010, 05:57 AM »
One of my new years resolutions this year is to rededicate myself to improving my applications more frequently, including CHS.  So perhaps one thing for us to do in the new year is make a collective list of top priorities for features to add to it and i'll can get started adding the most important stuff first.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2010, 06:57 AM »
@mouser: Good idea! Where would you suggest that we start building this "required new features/fiunctionality" list?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2010, 07:10 AM »
Post top priority CHS Requests for 2011 here: https://www.donation...ndex.php?topic=24979

Contro

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2010, 05:01 PM »
One of my new years resolutions this year is to rededicate myself to improving my applications more frequently, including CHS.  So perhaps one thing for us to do in the new year is make a collective list of top priorities for features to add to it and i'll can get started adding the most important stuff first.

Nice indeed. Merry Christmas to everyone