ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > DC Member Programs and Projects

My new pet project : makes flash games more like desktop games

<< < (8/15) > >>

Jabberwock:
Three things:

I do think that the price can make a difference - 3$ is much more acceptable for a "non-essential" app (but I'm influenced by an unfavourable exchange rate as well). That's how most iPhone apps work, as I understand...

Unfortunately, the app does not always work for me. I would use it only for flash games which cannot be downloaded (i.e. must be played on the site). Out of those I tried, most did not work for a simple reason - another flash has been loaded (header, game list etc.). It is essential that the user can choose which swf to play! Example:

http://city.lego.com/en-gb/games/PoliceGame.aspx

It does work very well on Miniclip - those games cannot be downloaded and seeing them in fullscreen is really nice!

Deozaan:
seems like a pretty good middle of the road solution to me.-mouser (May 09, 2010, 06:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well now that you've explained it, I agree with you. It does indeed seem like a good compromise.

ecaradec:
Currently the selection of the flash is done by taking the one with the largest surface. It works well on many sites, of couse it isn't a perfect solution. Selecting the flash would be better, but I'll have to do it once for each extension, so this is a quite a bit of work. I try to be smart by creating values, without creating too much work if possible.

I tried the lego thing and it does work. IE extension is a bit less efficient. I have to fix that. Did you use IE ?

$3 seems like a very good deal, even for something that doesn't always work. Actually I got 3 extra buyers, when I announce it. I'll ask them if they would have bought it for $5. I live in Euro area, so I don't really feel how much $5 is. For the beginning, I'd rather have more customers so that SwiffOut spreads versus earning money. I still need to charge I because I wouldn't like a free app that goes pay.

About ads, I agree what mouser has said. I don't think you click ads while playing. You click before and after. Beyond that, I would probably be rich before it represent a significant loss to gaming websites ;). This is annoying though because the perfect place to put ads for this would be gaming websites, but I'm not sure they'll like it.

Jabberwock:
In Firefox the banner (night skyline) is displayed...

Also, another problematic game:

http://www.miniclip.com/games/final-ninja/pl/

In Swiffout/Firefox the game as it is intended is displayed in the upper left corner. The rest of the screen, however, is not black - it displays the gameplay area normally invisible for the player :D I'm not saying it is a bad thing, mind you...

ecaradec:
I added a blog to SwiffOut. It'll make easier for you RSS users to know when a new version of SwiffOut gets out and if it benefits you to upgrade :
http://grownsoftware.com/blog/
You can also follow how the project advance. So far I've made 5 sells, I have more details on the SwiffOut blog.

On the dev side, the latest version support final-ninja without glitch. It remind me of atari and amiga time.

I created a button, but I have a hard time finding a good label that makes people click on it to know more. It'll probably become SwiffOut home page title and eventually ads too. I feel that the current title says a little bit too few.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version