topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:49 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: ATNSOFT Key Manager, Key Remapper, Text Paster - 30% Discount Coupon Code  (Read 35019 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I got interested in HotKeyz's learn-by-example macro feature, but it appears not to work on Vista Home Premium with UAC On.  The help file doesn't say why, just that it only work with UAC Off.  Pity.  I also notice something in HotKeyP's Help file about the Vista and the "hook."

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hmm, i didn't really consider that but it would be very useful to have a (working) lean-by-example macro feature.

all of this examination makes me think there needs to be a DC software shootout on all of these (and more to come i'm sure) hotkey managers.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
all of this examination makes me think there needs to be a DC software shootout on all of these (and more to come i'm sure) hotkey managers.

zridling's Web page had some very useful material, but it's long gone  :(  Most people on DC seem besotted with AHK, but I'd like something that's quick and easy to set up without needing even elementary programming.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Most people on DC seem besotted with AHK, but I'd like something that's quick and easy to set up without needing even elementary programming.
FWIW, I find that Macro Express makes creating hot keys simple.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i feel like i'm playing catch-up. and i wonder how i've missed most of the previous discussions (i'm assuming) there must have been on the forum about "auto" helper utils.

i've read through your ME review, Chris. sorry i missed it before. thanks. i'll check ME out later. i may have used it years ago (can't remember which macro program it was), yet i seem to be approaching these utils like i've never seen (or thought of) them before. i guess once i started using a programmable keyboard i forgot about the alternatives with macro/hotkey programs.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I find that Macro Express makes creating hot keys simple.
-cranioscopical (May 19, 2010, 03:34 PM)

I have a license for Macro Express, and used it a bit at work.  It seems a good program, but often seemed too heavy-duty, somehow.  There's clearly a lot of complexity, which can be intimidating, even if you don't intend to use much of it.  Nudone's first post in this thread (the OP was about ATNSOFT) seemed to call for a lighter-weight and perhaps more focussed application.  Also, Macro Express is payware - I'm not saying it isn't worth the price, I think it is, but free is a particularly good price.

For free, there's still Anthony Mathews' Macro Maker, but I think it can only store its macros in the Registry.  Also, the author notes that there's a problem setting system hooks to create macro recordings under Vista, just as there is with HotKeyz, so it looks like Microsoft's security model has well and truly screwed up convenience and productivity.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i've read through your ME review, Chris. sorry i missed it before. thanks. i'll check ME out later.

As rjbull points out, it's not for everyone -- what is? I've tried others and happen to prefer ME but your proclivities may lie elsewhere.

Just about every key on my keyboard has multiple 'soft' macros tied to it. That doesn't help with simultaneous-multi-key gaming action (so far, I haven't found the need for such in Noughts and Crosses.)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
okay, still not tried Macro Express - i think i'm beginning to drown under the number of hotkeys and macros available...

a couple of days ago i read about WordStar: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wordstar and how it had a clever method of navigating around documents. after a few attempts to find a decent WordStar key emulator i found this at lifehacker: http://www.lifehacke...dly-text-navigation/

i've not used it for long but it instantly feels better than using the standard arror/cursor keys, etc. and it has plenty of scope for modification (as it's an AHK script). maybe even just including the standard WordStar hotkeys would be a nice place to start - assuming it's better to do things one handed rather than two handed (not sure myself).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
a couple of days ago i read about WordStar
;D ;D
I was just about destroyed when WordStar went under.
A huge number of people still have WS keys burnt into the retina of the mind's eye.

Personally, I think it's time you stopped faffing about with mice and keys and began to master mind control.  :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I think it's time you stopped faffing about with mice and keys and began to master mind control.
-cranioscopical (May 20, 2010, 08:29 PM)

That's an excellent idea but for the moment i could try a modification of the Remote Wrangler, it's what wireless keyboards (and mice) were made for...

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I've heard of taking it on the chin but that might be going a little too farr!

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I've heard of taking it on the chin but that might be going a little too farr!
-cranioscopical (May 21, 2010, 09:25 AM)
heheh, excellent.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
found this whilst looking for more WordStart inspired scripts: http://touchcursor.sourceforge.net/ not tried it yet but it might be more welcoming for anyone that doesn't like scripts.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
found this whilst looking for more WordStart inspired scripts
Works particularly well if you set the activation as CTRL-BACKSPACE-TAB-DELETE, you should give that a try!  :)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
? you've lost me on that one, sorry.

or it is just meant to be an impossible hotkey combination - i could, of course, create another hotkey or macro to make it work.  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 03:36 AM by nudone »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
meant to be an impossible hotkey combination
Yeah, just another piece of half-baked nonsense, I'm afraid  :-[

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
that's a relief. i thought i was missing out on some kind of special hotkey combination.  :)

Vladisl

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The discount is still available.

Vladisl

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Vladisl

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Vladisl

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

Probably has to do with the number of updates in the last year: None.