ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Found Deals and Discounts

ATNSOFT Key Manager, Key Remapper, Text Paster - 30% Discount Coupon Code

<< < (3/10) > >>

nudone:
okay, that's interesting about PowerPro. i'll try it out tomorrow. i wonder if it requires tray icons being visible (i.e. not hidden in the tray).

i must also apologise for jumping the gun again. HokeyP does have the mouse button control i was after - it just wasn't obvious as it doesn't appear to recognise my netbooks left mouse/pad button (it does recognise left and right buttons together though).

i'm finding HotkeyP to be quite impressive (it does help reading the help file i suppose). i'm not sure exactly whether i'd use it but i do like how it has the macro features you mentioned. one interesting point was that you can give it a set of commands in a list form and it will step through them with each hotkey press - so, that's a single specific hotkey to traverse a list of commands. not sure if it's useful but i find that interesting.

rjbull:
okay, that's interesting about PowerPro. i'll try it out tomorrow. i wonder if it requires tray icons being visible (i.e. not hidden in the tray).-nudone (May 09, 2010, 05:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

We really are thinking along the same lines; after I logged off, I began to wonder about that.  Vista Home Premium hides buttons if you don't use them.  You can tell it to keep them visible, but control isn't as powerful as I'd like.  I've also found that it occasionally misses things in the start-up list, probably because start-up is trying to do too many things at once.  Missing buttons would put the rest in the wrong order, with undefined results.

HokeyP does have the mouse button control i was after - it just wasn't obvious as it doesn't appear to recognise my netbooks left mouse/pad button (it does recognise left and right buttons together though).
--- End quote ---

What would happen if you used mouser's TapTap Hotkey Extender that allows you to define things like a double tap on the right shift key, and remap them to keys you really want?

i'm finding HotkeyP to be quite impressive (it does help reading the help file i suppose).
--- End quote ---

I could have done with a better Help file and some examples myself, but at least a Help file exists.  Also, HotKeyP has been mentioned on DC before, so users are around to be consulted.

you can give it a set of commands in a list form and it will step through them with each hotkey press - so, that's a single specific hotkey to traverse a list of commands. not sure if it's useful but i find that interesting.

--- End quote ---

That presumably means that you don't need as many hotkeys to perform an action as you otherwise would, so saving them for other uses, and also reducing memory strain  ;)

nudone:
good points. i'd forgotten about mouser's TapTap program - that definitely deserves a look.

whilst testing a few things with HotkeyP (i've not set it up for what i really want yet), i noticed that it has a "spy" util - which does detect tray icons. it doesn't look like it does anything other than hide/show a specified tray icon - BUT it does give an ID number for the icon. i wonder if this ID number is unique and remains constant after rebooting (or if a different number of programs are running in the tray). if so, then i assume that other hotkey programs can control individual tray items.

i had a look at PowerPro to see if i could figure out the tray control with that and it wasn't obvious to me. i can see that it says it has tray control - i just don't know how.

at the moment i feel like i need to decide upon a set list of hotkey/mouse tasks that i really need - otherwise i'm going to have way too many unnecessary programs running (and hotkeys taken up).

i'm waiting for a keyboard to arrive with macro/hotkey functions so i ought to set that up first before using extra utils. after that i'll be able to clarify what i'm using.

rjbull:
Just for the record, it looks like HotKeyz can do the same sort of things as HotKeyP, including multiple keys triggered by a single hotkey, and "macros" in the sense of being able to follow your keypresses and mouse movements.  The Web site says it can be USB portable in saving files to the application directory, but it only seems to come as an installer.

nudone:
okay, thanks. i'll take a closer look at HotKeyz. does it have a pause/toggle hotkey though..?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version