ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bought (or thinking of buying) an Apple iPad? You may have been duped!

<< < (5/7) > >>

JavaJones:
Do you actually have an iPad yet? My impression is that the weight and need to constantly hold/prop up the thing actually is a detraction for comfortable long-term reading vs. even a netbook, which can stand in a readable position on its own quite easily. For example I can lay on my side and put my netbook in front of me and read something largely hands free, with only the occasional press of spacebar or arrow keys to move to a new page, but otherwise not needing to hold it up or anything. Same if I am in bed say, putting it up on stomach, or if I'm on the couch putting it on my lap (and inclining the screen a bit). Whereas the iPad, you have more versatile screen positioning, but it doesn't hold itself up, so you're responsible for doing that the entire time you use it. Just something to think about...

- Oshyan

wraith808:
Do you actually have an iPad yet? My impression is that the weight and need to constantly hold/prop up the thing actually is a detraction for comfortable long-term reading vs. even a netbook, which can stand in a readable position on its own quite easily.
-JavaJones (May 06, 2010, 04:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I haven't purchased yet, but I have two co-workers who have, and the weight is a bit overstated IMO.  But then again, my first venture into the tablet world was the first Motion Tablet Computer and I used to use that to read, so this is really no comparison as far as weight is concerned. :)

Renegade:
In fairness, the "Courier" thing was probably just a product *concept*. The videos we saw were probably mockups at best. So yeah, great concepts, but could it actually be done the way it was shown? I don't know, and I'm even less confident of Microsoft's ability to do it. ;)

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 05, 2010, 10:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

I have a lot more faith in Microsoft. The best mouse I ever had was a Microsoft mouse. Their keyboards are also excellent. Don't know jack about the Zune though. (I think MS probably should have created a Zune platform for other MP3 players to use to increase interoperability and truly get the social experience rolling.)

Concept or prototype or whatever though, the Courier form factor is simply the absolute coolest of anything remotely like it. I'd buy one for sure, and probably another for my wife as well.

The iPad form factor has failed in the past several times. I think that the "Emperor's new clothes" may be enough to prop it up this time though. We'll see. Will people buy something that they don't use just because it is cool?

My prediction is that the true salvation for the iPad will be the App Store. If the iPad doesn't get truly useful software that fits the form factor, it will fail. The anti-trust case against Apple, and the willingness of developers to risk developing for Apple after Apple's repeated disrespect and contempt for its developers will all be important factors there. Dunno. We'll see.

Still, the iPad has nothing over the Courier when it comes to the coolness of the form factor. Just sad to see Courier shelved.

Darwin:
Amen to that, brother Renegade, amen to that! I REALLY want a Courier!

Maybe we should start a petition!

Renegade:
Amen to that, brother Renegade, amen to that! I REALLY want a Courier!

Maybe we should start a petition!
-Darwin (May 07, 2010, 08:22 AM)
--- End quote ---

That just might be an idea. I'll buy a domain name & host a site if anyone wants to help with design and content. And of course we will need some people to help evangelize and get support for the idea.

Anyone interested? Darwin?

Or, we could simply get a Facebook page with a vanity URL. That's a real fast way to get things moving. "IWantACourier" -- "IWannACourier" (iwannacourier) -- or whatever.

Just think about it this way... It's the first portable and FOLDABLE computer!~ Fold it up and take it with you. (I take laptops to be "opened" and not "folded".) It really IS a book. Flip page, scrawl notes, open programs, GSD (the NSFW version of GTD), etc. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version