ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bought (or thinking of buying) an Apple iPad? You may have been duped!

<< < (3/7) > >>

wraith808:
What annoys me is that its success has caused Microsoft and HP to shelve their own tablet plans. The Microsoft Courier was, in my opinion, quite a different machine from the iPad and much more in keeping with what I am looking for in the next generation of portable devices.
-Darwin (May 06, 2010, 08:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

It doesn't seem that Microsoft is shelving Courier as much as it was always a prototype is what I'm taking from the news.  OTOH, I'm sort of stupefied with HP buying Palm.  Palm was good in the day. But I don't think it's so good now...

markan:
OTOH, I'm sort of stupefied with HP buying Palm.  Palm was good in the day. But I don't think it's so good now...
-wraith808 (May 06, 2010, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

But Palm has an OS suited for appliances which might just be a better fit for a tablet aimed at competing with the iPad than anything MS has. I get the impression that HP would like to be able to offer a full package like Apple can rather than compete against the asian manufacturers as just another Windows OEM.

wraith808:
OTOH, I'm sort of stupefied with HP buying Palm.  Palm was good in the day. But I don't think it's so good now...
-wraith808 (May 06, 2010, 09:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

But Palm has an OS suited for appliances which might just be a better fit for a tablet aimed at competing with the iPad than anything MS has. I get the impression that HP would like to be able to offer a full package like Apple can rather than compete against the asian manufacturers as just another Windows OEM.
-markan (May 06, 2010, 09:39 AM)
--- End quote ---

Apple is uniquely situated to do what it is doing IMO.  It's always been an outsider company- on the 'alternate' edge.  HP on the other hand isn't and hasn't.  So it really depends on how they position Palm and how they keep up with the dedicated Palm few- when Palm got away from those is when others were able to muscle in on their market.  But with that done, is there a way back?  I'm not so sure, and if there is, I'm not sure that HP is the company that will be able to pull it off.

Stoic Joker:
I can see the headlines now:
    Will the HPalm explode... Film at 11:00

Stoic Joker:
But for what I do, I've come to increasingly see that the iPad is a good fit.  And if that's the case, then how does it fall short?  They're all tools- use what works for you, not what anyone tells you is right for you, whether it's the company that makes the tools, or the people around you that use them, IMO.  And a lesson that I took away from it also- don't depend on the marketing or anti-marketing efforts, try the device and see if it will fit your workflow.-wraith808 (May 06, 2010, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

He's right - Even if I do hate Apple & refuse to buy an iAnything. - Making your own decision is the wisest course.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version