ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Bought (or thinking of buying) an Apple iPad? You may have been duped!

<< < (2/7) > >>

JavaJones:
In fairness, the "Courier" thing was probably just a product *concept*. The videos we saw were probably mockups at best. So yeah, great concepts, but could it actually be done the way it was shown? I don't know, and I'm even less confident of Microsoft's ability to do it. ;)

- Oshyan

Deozaan:
Might goes 9+hrs on battery, about the same as iPad as far as I know. I leave it laying around for weeks not plugged in and it still has basically a full charge.
-JavaJones (May 05, 2010, 09:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

9 hours?  What do you have the power settings on?  I go full power all the time b/c the lower power settings feel sluggish.  And from my friends that have it, the iPad is more than 9 hours of usage, but that's not empirical in any way.-wraith808 (May 05, 2010, 10:19 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'm guessing you got a 3-cell battery and JavaJones got a 9-cell battery. I have a 6-cell battery and my netbook lasts about 5-6 hours with "normal" power settings and usage.

The Kindle's screen is specifically designed for reading though. I don't know if the display technology in the iPad can keep up. (Things like eye-strain and readability are key there.) But superior technology is no guarantee for success (beta vs. VHS).-Renegade (May 05, 2010, 09:24 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's just the thing. The iPad isn't really an eReader any more than a Notebook PC or a Smart Phone is an eReader. Yet it's being marketed as the superior eReader.

When you start comparing the iPad with other technologies that are most like it--namely a Smartphone or a Netbook/Notebook--you really start to see how the iPad falls short.

But Apple continues its "Emperor's New Clothes" marketing. It's almost like marketing a Honda motorcycle as the best bicycle around, while some of us are scratching our heads wondering why you wouldn't just go with a Harley-Davidson. That may be a bad analogy, since I'm not into motorcycles and don't know what would be considered low, mid, or top-class in the motorcycle realm, but I hope the idea comes across well.

Stoic Joker:
But Apple continues its "Emperor's New Clothes" marketing. It's almost like marketing a Honda motorcycle as the best bicycle around, while some of us are scratching our heads wondering why you wouldn't just go with a Harley-Davidson. That may be a bad analogy, since I'm not into motorcycles and don't know what would be considered low, mid, or top-class in the motorcycle realm, but I hope the idea comes across well.-Deozaan (May 06, 2010, 02:17 AM)
--- End quote ---

As a biker that's been riding Harleys for over 25 years - I'd say you did just fine! :)

wraith808:
I'm guessing you got a 3-cell battery and JavaJones got a 9-cell battery. I have a 6-cell battery and my netbook lasts about 5-6 hours with "normal" power settings and usage.
-Deozaan (May 06, 2010, 02:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
How heavy is it?  My battery sticks out the back already... I can't imagine how big the other batteries are.  I have a 6-cell.  It advertises 6.5 hours, but it surely doesn't seem like it.  If I keep it up using it sporadically at work, it doesn't last all day, and it seems that it should. 

This is the version that I picked up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QFZFS0/ref=oss_product

When you start comparing the iPad with other technologies that are most like it--namely a Smartphone or a Netbook/Notebook--you really start to see how the iPad falls short.
-Deozaan (May 06, 2010, 02:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
Why?  I saw James Kendrick on jkOnTheRun talking about how he blogs with his iPad out and about... and there were tons of people saying that he should just stick with his laptop/netbook.  If he's satisfied with it, then why is it so dangerous to others?  If he finds that he doesn't need these other functions to get what he needs done, then where is the need for the other functions?  Like I said, I use my iPhone currently for *most* of my reading, so I don't see where the iPad will feel that much different.  And it will let me do a lot of other things that the nook doesn't do.  And with the digital book wars going on, I like the fact that by getting the iPad I can use (a) my eReader books, (b) my non-drm multiformat books (c) my Kindle books (d) my b&n books.  If I purchased a nook or a Kindle, I'd give up one or more of those categories.  Recently, I wanted to get the new Dresden Files book in digital format.  The only distributor that had the rights to sell it was B&N.  One of my colleagues has a Kindle, and he had to get the dead tree edition.  I don't want the book seller's war to inconvenience me.  In addition, PDFs don't look good on any of them.  I tried to turn my netbook into something to do just that- but in the end, I was trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.  If you need to do a lot of keyboard intensive things, and plan to use it as a mini-laptop, I think a netbook is better.  But for what I do, I've come to increasingly see that the iPad is a good fit.  And if that's the case, then how does it fall short?  They're all tools- use what works for you, not what anyone tells you is right for you, whether it's the company that makes the tools, or the people around you that use them, IMO.  And a lesson that I took away from it also- don't depend on the marketing or anti-marketing efforts, try the device and see if it will fit your workflow.

Darwin:
What annoys me is that its success has caused Microsoft and HP to shelve their own tablet plans. The Microsoft Courier was, in my opinion, quite a different machine from the iPad and much more in keeping with what I am looking for in the next generation of portable devices.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version