topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 4:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Process Tamer and Process Lasso  (Read 108091 times)

greyowl

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Process Tamer and Process Lasso
« on: May 04, 2010, 07:49 PM »
I have not used either of these apps and wondering which one would be best.
From people who have used both, I am wondering about a comparison of them.  Do they do the same thing or are they complimentary?  Can you use both at the same time? How do they compare in terms of resource use?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer and Process Lasso
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 12:57 AM »
They are very similar tools -- you wouldn't want to run both of them at the same time.  Both are good.  Process Tamer is a little more narrowly focused, and so perhaps a little more lightweight and minimalistic.  Process Lasso is updated more frequently.  Try them both out and stick with the one that suits you best ! :)

greyowl

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:01 AM »
Thank you for the information.

I am wanting something that is minimal but does the job without using much memory or CPU so I with try Process Tamer first.

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 01:42 PM »
Recently installed Process Lasso on XP SP3 and Vista SP1 boxes and it appears to work as advertised.  The speedup is more apparent on the XP box though probably because it is an older system and is single core.

Giveawayoftheday.com offered it so figured I had nothing to lose.  Lasso reviewer references were made to Tamer - even by the author of Lasso - as an alternative and was going to try it first as an addition to my donationcoder.com arsenal but as Mouser stated, Lasso's updates appear more frequent and users rated it highly overall.  Well written utilities that perform as promised that aren't resource hogs are keepers.

The need for speed is insatiable.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

legendcvb

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 10:47 AM »
Process Tamer 在 单核电脑使用很好 Process Lasso 资源占用就不太好。经常有卡死现象。多核心电脑 Process Lasso  就优异一些。

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:43 AM »
Process Tamer 在 单核电脑使用很好 Process Lasso 资源占用就不太好。经常有卡死现象。多核心电脑 Process Lasso  就优异一些。

Fried babelfish translation:

Process Tamer well in single-core computing resource usage Process Lasso is not good. Phenomenon often stuck. Process Lasso on multi-core computers of some merit.

I think he is trying to say that Process Tamer is better for a single core, and Process Lasso is better for a multi-core.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 12:22 PM »
I think he is trying to say that Process Tamer is better for a single core, and Process Lasso is better for a multi-core.
That may be what legendcvb is saying, but the Process Lasso website seems to suggest that Process Lasso is especially effective on less powerful computers: "Process Lasso is very useful and effective on even the latest high-end PCs. However, its ProBalance algorithm achieves maximum effect on PCs with relatively little CPU 'power', such as Netbooks, Tablets, and older desktops."
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 12:24 PM by cyberdiva »

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 10:28 PM »
That may be what legendcvb is saying, but the Process Lasso website seems to suggest that Process Lasso is especially effective on less powerful computers: "Process Lasso is very useful and effective on even the latest high-end PCs. However, its ProBalance algorithm achieves maximum effect on PCs with relatively little CPU 'power', such as Netbooks, Tablets, and older desktops."

I know what it says, and it could also be said of Process Tamer. But that statement from the Process Lasso website doesn't compare the 2 of them in use. What legendcvb said could still very well be true.

Unfortunately, I can't evaluate either one of them on my older lower CPU power machine and make my own comparison, since neither of them will run on it. (WinME not supported).

robin0479

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 02:34 PM »
I have tried both applications and as said on above, PROCESS TAMER is more narrowly focused on what it should be doing as a process manager.

So if you want to try the freeware of a great process manager, Try process tamer.
But if you want to buy the pro licence of process lasso, it's much better. Because process lasso pro offers more utilities.  :Thmbsup:  ;)

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:18 PM by robin0479 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 02:42 PM »
Appreciate the vote of confidence.. Just to head off a contentious thread before it starts -- it's safe to say different people have different needs -- try them both for yourself and stick with the one that is best for your needs.  Let's leave it at that.

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2012, 03:29 PM »
And we could go back and forth all day. It would turn into some sort of hateful stuff. Screw a bunch of hate. I hope Process Tamer is just what the writer was looking for.

robin0479

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2012, 03:39 PM »
Great software !   :-*
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 04:20 PM by robin0479 »

conceptualclarity

• Participant
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2013, 02:38 PM »
I know the recommendations. A few weeks ago I got so appalled with my old XP's performance that I decided to go ahead and run Process Lasso and Process Tamer together. I don't notice any harm from it, and I don't perceive things have gotten any worse from the change.

Most of the lines on the Tamer menu still aren't functioning for me. I wanted to get into Configure in order to make it an Autorun program, but Configure still won't work for me.

Pakazio

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2013
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2014, 04:52 AM »
Happy New Year everyone!!! :)

For anyone interested i just found that Process Lasso PRO is given away only for today 02/01/2014! here!. However it needs to be installed the same day that the offer exists in order to activate.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 05:02 AM by Pakazio »

db90h

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
  • Software Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Bitsum - Take control of your PC
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 07:44 PM »
Oh no, not this. I hate this not because of 'competition', but because I can't be friends with a competitor. And mouser is a great person and friend.

Process Lasso is what it is. Maintained frequently, come a long way. Lots of time and energy has went into it. Lots of functions. I've made Process Lasso my sole purpose in life for 10 years. Lasso is written in C++, so is as lightweight as anything.

Mouser's Process Tamer is more narrowly focused, as he said. Better system tray notifications.

Lasso is designed in a way such that running Tamer (or similar software) along side it will not impede it's functionality, at least with default settings. I can't say the same is true for other software.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 12:48 PM by db90h »