ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

The evil of the horizontal scrollbar - and what we can do about it

<< < (3/3)

hgondalf:
Why couldn’t the list view look like a spreadsheet, where one cell may span many lines?  That way it would still sort properly, but the view would still look and act more or less like the standard list view. There could be options to turn on and off grid lines, as well as whether to show multiple-line entries or truncate them.

tranglos:
Why couldn’t the list view look like a spreadsheet, where one cell may span many lines?  That way it would still sort properly, but the view would still look and act more or less like the standard list view. There could be options to turn on and off grid lines, as well as whether to show multiple-line entries or truncate them.
-hgondalf (May 07, 2010, 11:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

If I understand your suggestion, that would still require horizontal scrolling, since in a spreadsheet-type view, each "record" is still contained within a single row.

Merging cells is not really a problem, most grid components can do that. What I wanted to avoid was horizontal scrolling (or worse, obscuring data that doesn't fit in the viewport horizontally). In order to get that, we have to do away with the limitation of one row per record, as seen in the screenshots of the controls I posted.

cmpm:
Does this help?

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system.windows.forms.textboxbase.wordwrap.aspx

Or how could this be done or implemented system wide?
I don't know.....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version