ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

KVM switch woes -- any recommendations?

(1/3) > >>

daddydave:
I have a little KVM switch and I am not too satisfied with it:
http://www.buy.com/prod/belkin-flip-kvm-switch-w-remote-usb-with-audio-belkin-flip-f1dg102u/q/loc/101/202531007.html

It works fine, until it doesn't. When I first got it, it started reinstalling the mouse and keyboard every time I flipped between the two machines (a laptop and a desktop, if that matters). Finally for the most part, they stayed installed. But the mouse cursor gets stuck in one spot frequently (at least daily) and I have to unplug it from the desktop machine. To get to the USB port I have to unplug the monitor cable as well. The other day I unplugged and replugged everything for several minutes and it still wasn't working. I don't know if I got a bad one, or if that's just the way it is for this. I leaning toward that's just the way it is. It seems to be basically unplugging the usb and plugging it back in, hence the constant reinstall that I experienced initially. I know this type of device was more reliable in my memory, back when all the keyboard and mouse ports were PS/2 style. If I recall correctly, the good ones held some power, sparing the motherboard from the shock of constantly unplugging the PS/2 connectors. It seems I need the same for USB, I was trying to go bargain basement, but that seems to be a fail. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. By the way, this may not be a typical use: usually only one computer will actually be powered up.

Shades:
Try a software tool like Synergy or Synergy+ (a fork of Synergy). Both are open source. My personal experience with Synergy is very good and very reliable. Using it for years already on XP/2000/2003 systems without any problem.

There was another one, also free to use, but I forgot the name. Search this forum and you will find out.

mouser:
this is what always makes me hesitate to try a kvm setup, i keep hearing stories about annoyances like this with them.

40hz:
I've tried many different KVM products over the years.

The only absolutely reliable ones I've ever found are made by a company called Raritan.

They're pretty much the industry standard. Raritans can be found in many major data centers and corporate server rooms.

Not cheap by any stretch. A simple 4-port SwitchMan model runs about $100 - 150 depending on which one you need. (Some of their other models sport price tags that can easily cause dizziness and nosebleed. )

But if you want "no BS" absolutely bulletproof hardware-based KVM switching, this is the only brand AFAIC. If you're setting KVM up for a client, get a SwitchMan.

If you don't insist on a hardware-based solution, then I'd definitely go with Shades' recommendation for Synergy. I use Synergy at home to handle my rag-tag and ever changing 'harem' of PCs and NIX boxes.  Synergy is cross-platform, easy to set up, reliable in use - and free!

So what's not to like? :)

mwb1100:
I'm using an IOGEAR GCS634U KVM and I've been happy with it, but I wouldn't call myself an extensive user - there are 3 machines plugged in to it, but 2 are server-type machines that pretty much run themselves.  I only have to switch to them occasionally for a reboot or other infrequent maintenance, and even then I use remote control software RDP or VNC more often than the KVM. But there are times when the KVM is really necessary (like you need to do something early in the boot process).  If push came to shove, I could crawl around and plug in a monitor, etc. for those times when remote control won't do, but I really hate doing that (my cabling is a real rat's nest).

Synergy wouldn't work for my set up as the machines don't have their own monitors.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version