ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

A really cool modern visual illusion

(1/4) > >>

mouser:
I'm not sure if i should be as wowed by this as i am, but while fooling around with screenshots today, i stumbled on a kind of visual illusion.

Look at this normal screenshot of notepad window from windows xp, which has a nice 3d raised effect on the border and on the upper right titlebar buttons, etc.

And now look what happens when you simply rotate it clockwise 180 degrees.. all of a suddent the buttons look like they are indented, etc.. the visual part of brain examining shadows suddenly reinterprets the image, and it looks really strange. at least to me it does -- so much that i had to keep checking to see if i didn't have a bug in my rotation function!

Or maybe i'm the only one who finds this cool and for whom it seems like a visual illusion?

lanux128:
i thought mouser was pulling my leg then i downloaded the 2nd image and un-rotated it in IrfanView and it ended up the same as the 1st image! ;D

mouser:
i guess that's your way of saying you see the optical illusion too :)

housetier:
It is surprising how drastic the effect is. When I tilt my head a little and concentrate on a corner of the upside-down version, I can see it properly. But just as I untilt my head, the usual 3d-effect disappears!

lujomu:
You guys will love this: Download the following picture and rotate it 180° - but don't be scared! ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version