topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A really cool modern visual illusion  (Read 16213 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
A really cool modern visual illusion
« on: May 03, 2010, 03:09 AM »
I'm not sure if i should be as wowed by this as i am, but while fooling around with screenshots today, i stumbled on a kind of visual illusion.

Look at this normal screenshot of notepad window from windows xp, which has a nice 3d raised effect on the border and on the upper right titlebar buttons, etc.
notepadup.png

And now look what happens when you simply rotate it clockwise 180 degrees.. all of a suddent the buttons look like they are indented, etc.. the visual part of brain examining shadows suddenly reinterprets the image, and it looks really strange. at least to me it does -- so much that i had to keep checking to see if i didn't have a bug in my rotation function!
notepaddown.png

Or maybe i'm the only one who finds this cool and for whom it seems like a visual illusion?
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 03:11 AM by mouser »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A really cool modern visual illusion
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 03:16 AM »
i thought mouser was pulling my leg then i downloaded the 2nd image and un-rotated it in IrfanView and it ended up the same as the 1st image! ;D

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:19 AM »
i guess that's your way of saying you see the optical illusion too :)

housetier

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 04:04 AM »
It is surprising how drastic the effect is. When I tilt my head a little and concentrate on a corner of the upside-down version, I can see it properly. But just as I untilt my head, the usual 3d-effect disappears!

lujomu

• Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 04:23 AM »
You guys will love this: Download the following picture and rotate it 180° - but don't be scared! ;)
kreisky_myspace_post[1].jpg

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 05:55 AM »
AAAAAAAAAAHHH! 

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 06:25 AM »
Not sure I would call the notepad example an optical illusion, but it does show how amazing the brain is :)
- carpe noctem

zridling

• Friend of the Site
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 07:50 AM »
After all these years, you're the first to notice that! It really is the "3d raised effect on the border and on the upper right titlebar buttons." Cool. Of course, it doesn't work with simpler schemes, such as Linux-KDE:

kwrite-up.png

kwrite-down.png

AndyM

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 11:37 AM »
maybe i'm the only one who finds this cool and for whom it seems like a visual illusion?
nope, very cool and a little shocking that visual perception is so easily manipulated.

Of course, it doesn't work with simpler schemes, such as Linux-KDE:
it does work, a little.  I see the separator bars around the Save/SaveAs buttons as depressed in the top view, and raised in the bottom, rotated view.
But the scroll bar looks raised in both views.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 01:45 AM »
@mouser: It is very interesting, and also a coincidence - I was playing around with 180 degree screen rotation the other day, showing my wife the same thing. I also demonstrated using the mouse (which moved "upside down" too). It nearly did my head in.
This is a relatively well-known perceptual illusion and is attributable to how the brain interprets what the eyes see. Our eyes actually "see" everything upside-down anyway (the image of what the eye receives is upside-down on the retina at the back of the eye), and the brain learns at an early age to translate the image to the right way up, using light, colour, shadows and lines as reference points and cues to make it all make sense. So what we THINK we see is already a perceptual illusion conjured up by our brain's image-processing system.

What does the trick in the case you show (and you can see it just by turning the screen upside-down) is mainly the shadows around the objects, which give a false sense of 3D right-way-up (it's still all 2D), and the brain adroitly reverses it when it's upside-down, rationally using the same reference points and cues.

You can get a similar illusion by:
  • Staring at 3D line drawings - they seem to "pop" in and out in your perception.
  • Staring at that animated image of the silhouette of a slowly spinning woman. Your perception can make her seem to rotate left or right, but not everyone can deliberately change the perceived rotation. She's not rotating in any direction at all, but she looks as though she is.
Some people might say that animated graphics of Angelina Jolie seem to animate more smoothly and look more attractive when she is pictured naked as opposed to clothed, but I couldn't possibly comment. :eusa_dance:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 01:53 AM by IainB »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:50 AM »
@lujomu: Yes, a great image. My daughter sometimes videos my chin and mouth upside-down to make it look like a talking face (after drawing some eyes on the bottom of my chin). There are some amusing YouTube clips along the same lines.

yksyks

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 12:05 PM »
Not really "modern", but definitely cool. (Giuseppe Arcimboldo, 1590) Just couldn't resist sharing this.

Giuseppe Arcimboldo - still life and a portrait.jpg

Source: Futility Closet (worth browsing, by the way)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2010, 03:22 PM »
I have honestly never noticed the illusion mouser pointed out, and actually flipped the laptop 180degree to see if it was right, or he was just going crazy in his old age haha.

Very very cool find!

:Thmbsup:

-Stephen

Crush

• Joined in 2006
  • Hello dude!
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2010, 03:29 PM »
Hmmm, fine collection of vegetables.

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2010, 03:33 PM »
Fascinating!  I remember having fun with a similar kind of illusion from when I was a kid.  I think it has something to do with how we're used to thinking of light hitting objects from the upper-left hand side.  In my recent explorations into drawing and shading, I've learned that the default way to shade is to assume the light is coming from the upper left.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2010, 08:25 PM »
@superboyac:
In my recent explorations into drawing and shading, I've learned that the default way to shade is to assume the light is coming from the upper left.
Well, in Nature, the light source moves from East to West, and is higher than us, or "overhead" most of the time, so that assumption is probably at least two-thirds true!    ;)
Except perhaps at sunrise or sunset when the light is almost on the horizontal, or in far north and far south parts of the world when they get those long winters with the sun seemingly barely able to lift itself off the horizon. Oh, and in Hammer horror films where the light often seems to mysteriously come from below/underneath when anything scary is going on...

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2010, 11:09 PM »
Hey - while checking out various optical illusions and what-not  because of what mouser posted, I found a curious little Windows hotkey that you might find interesting...

Press: Ctrl-Alt-Down.

On some machines (this might be WinXP only and might depend on your video driver), you'll get plenty of-mouser-style illusions...

ada45373

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 07:58 AM »
I seem to recall that the neurophysiology course dealt with the automatic interpretation that shadowing comes from an overhead light source. There are oodles of these essential processes about which we are unaware.

This specific illusion is employed in nature as camouflage and mimicry.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 06:20 PM »