ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: mount virtual folders

(1/2) > >>

blauand:
Hi,
Assign files and folders to a virtual folder and mount it to be accesible for the file system.
We are dealing, at this moment, with +75.000 files in multiple locations.

1- only files are to be listed, when a folder is dropped to the VF this has to add (recursively) only the files.
The result is just one VF with only files inside.
2- automatic synchronize (or user dependant), for new or deleted files on the original folders.

If anyone has used Directory Opus, it's a little like its Collections feature, to get you an idea.

cheers
blau

f0dder:
NTFS Junctions wouldn't cut the cheese?

blauand:
i'll take a look into it
thans f0dder

f0dder:
i'll take a look into it
thans f0dder-blauand (May 03, 2010, 01:03 PM)
--- End quote ---
Let's know how it works out - NTFS junctions have a number of quirks and limitations, so might not be perfect... unfortunately I misread your post, they won't solve your point #1 - each junction will appear as a subfolder under the main folder.

I'm not sure trying to have 75k files in a single folder (even if it's virtual, with the real files in multiple subfolders scattered around) is a good idea - some applications might not deal with that amount of files very well :)

blauand:
I've read a lot these past two days about Junctions, hardlinks and softlinks and as you said  i couldn't find a solution for point #1, seems there is no program/script that allows to have one junction to many target (only content) folders at once.
I can think of another approach.
Get a list of all files at source dirs, compare them to destination dir containing  harklinks, skip the existing, and copying as hardlinks the new found. Not a beautiful solution with that amount of  files but it can do the work.
Do you think this can be done?
I've tried with diropus internal COPY MAKELINK=hardlink WHENEXISTS=skip
but it don't skip existing files it just append (1) and make a new file.

cheers
blau

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version