ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The conflict of interest that is Google

<< < (15/27) > >>

CodeTRUCKER:
Like a previous poster, I won't try to persuade to the contrary.  I would like to take this out of the realms of opinion and deal with some facts of life.  I can accept that there are no hard exhibits to condemn Google as "evil," but for me to accept that "Big "G" (with G-A or not) has other's (competitor and/or customer) interests ahead of their own is contrary to any level of commercial acumen.  The facts are Google is in business to make money and they possess a monopoly (intended or not) that is irrefutable.  Further, they possess tools produced by some of the most brilliant professionals (remember their "want a job" billboard) that allows them an indisputable advantage.   To suggest that "Big G" would not lawfully take full advantage of all of their resources is..., well, you judge for yourselves.

Unless Google, as a $$$$$ corporation, has received some special celestial dispensation that exempts the employees and officers from the failings of human nature of control and greed, there is no reason to expect their behavior would be any different than any other financial giants.  I have gathered that Lord Acton's wisdom is not real popular around here, but it is ever germane.

J-Mac:
Anyone read the rest of this year's columns/articles on Ben Edelman's site? Most would probably get a somewhat different opinion of Google after reading them. The Google Toolbar issues, Ads labeling, etc. Fascinating.

Thanks!

Jim

CodeTRUCKER:
My apologies for double posting, but I did not want this to get lost.

Historical precedent demands that any discussion of information aggrandizement and control by an entity as large as Google must encompass the lessons of history.  I am not prophesying this will occur within any specific time frame, but please consider the ramifications of the inevitable "what if" when the vast power and resources are usurped by a future non-benevolent government?  This is the real "inconvenient truth."

Renegade:
My apologies for double posting, but I did not want this to get lost.

Historical precedent demands that any discussion of information aggrandizement and control by an entity as large as Google must encompass the lessons of history.  I am not prophesying this will occur within any specific time frame, but please consider the ramifications of the inevitable "what if" when the vast power and resources are usurped by a future non-benevolent government?  This is the real "inconvenient truth."
-CodeTRUCKER (November 19, 2010, 10:55 PM)
--- End quote ---

+1

While it may sound like a conspiracy as CodeTRUCKER has mentioned, I went on briefly about this in another post.

You do NOT need to believe in conspiracies and you do not need to be paranoid to follow the logic that there are patterns in history and that they are repeated. All that says is that humans behave in ways that are somewhat predictable.

South Park went on about this in their episode parodying Tiger Woods and his affairs. Give a man huge amounts of success and money, and he'll start cavorting around with as many women as he can. It's not rocket science. It happens. It's pretty predictable in a probabilistic way.

We only need to look at those "super-powers" like Google, Apple, Microsoft, and the like (which would include oil companies, pharmaceutical companies, agri-business companies like Monsanto) and then look back in history and find analogs to them. There are far too many analogies in history to ignore.

We can say look at this, this, this, this, this, this, and THIS example in history and how they are all very similar to the present.

Machiavelli wrote about this in detail. Guess what? He was right. He described how things really work.

(Continued in another post because I don't want to pollute this one with what I'm about to write...)

CodeTRUCKER:
In the FWIW Department...

I spent all day trying to find some information on Google and never found it.  Then I tried a search engine called...

[Click on the graphic.]

And found what I needed the first try!  Guess what was the search that was so difficult...

"Outlook 2010 next unread message"

No kidding, that's all it was and every other iteration I could think of to try.  FYI - I have no affiliation with Yippy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version