ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The conflict of interest that is Google

<< < (3/27) > >>

Stoic Joker:
...And here I thought it was just me being to picky. I almost always use quotes & plusses when doing a search to quickly target error messages or APIs that I'm researching. Because less is more (results wise) for that type of search.

But yes, lately the usless crap links even when doing some thing extremely specific is quite annoying - I've even resorted (with great success) to using Bing a few times when Google just gave solid crap for results (e.g. two banner farms & a drive by).

JavaJones:
Ok, so is Bing demonstrably and consistently better? If not, what is? Is this a systemic problem in the search market, or unique to Google?

- Oshyan

J-Mac:
Ok, so is Bing demonstrably and consistently better? If not, what is? Is this a systemic problem in the search market, or unique to Google?

- Oshyan
-JavaJones (May 03, 2010, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'd say a little of both. But since Google is the gorilla at the table it has a bigger impact than any others.

Jim

JavaJones:
All I'm looking for is alternatives. If Google is bad (debatable, and not really true in my experience), then what is good? And if nothing is good, yet Bing and others are spending *100s of millions of dollars* on this problem, then maybe Google isn't doing so bad afterall?

- Oshyan

zridling:
I suppose it depends on what is linked to what. Google Health along with WebMD are massive link dumps, are they not? The more links, the higher the ranking? Besides, each of those Google Health topics are well outlined without ads unlike the others listed.
I'm no Google guru, but I can consistently find things (answers) that others at work and in my family cannot for some reason. Several times I've diagnosed my own medical problems after several doctors gave me erroneous advice. In each case, I sent them a letter telling them how I found the correct information that cured my problem, and suggesting they use this new thing called "the internet" or get better training. (I couldn't afford a followup visit to tell them in person.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version