ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The conflict of interest that is Google

<< < (2/27) > >>

mouser:
What is interesting and - I think deserves recognition - about Google is that they do a pretty good job most of the time of balancing the profit with the information and quality of service.
--- End quote ---

Fair enough, i can't disagree with this (not yet at least.. we shall see what the future holds).

I have never claimed that google was anything but better than the rest of them.. I just don't think that's saying all that much.

J-Mac:
When Google takes the top spot for themselves, in most cases it seems that all they are doing is knocking Wikipedia down to second.  ;D

Seriously though, I completely agree about most top results being - as superboyac called it - "vomit-worthy" content. I realize that there is more and more data for search engines to sift through but the drek that makes the first page or two of results for just about any topic you search is getting to be tough to take.

Jim

Renegade:
I agree.

I do a lot of tech searches, and the overwhelming results I get are total dog shit.

And guess what all the dog shit sites are? Screen scraping Google ad sites. They have no original content, and are useless. Again, and again, and again... There are a huge number of sites that scrape MSDN and other sites and just puke out those results. Google serves them up all the time.

And quite often, I will be searching for something that I KNOW is at some web site like the Code Project, but I'm just too lazy to type in "codeproject Ctrl+Enter" then type the search when I can hit "Ctrl+k" then type the search... The results Google returns are mostly crap.

Google ceased to be about relevance a long time ago. They're doing the "not evil" thing for their stock holders ==> maximizing profits.

Mouser, I'm with you! I'm also glad to see that I'm not the only person that isn't enthralled by Google to the point of blindness.

mitzevo:
For powerusers, finding info on most search engines is a POP. If you think google is not-so-good, check out baidu.

iphigenie:
As someone who has been involved in search, the only way in which google can be considered "relevant" is because it is the default - people are used to it and its quirks and all the noise in it

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version