ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HowTo repair/replace tcpip.sys ?

<< < (2/9) > >>

Curt:
@Innuendo
Search "tcpip.sys", and think differently; it was still a well known problem on XP.

Carol Haynes:
SFC should do the job - if it doesn't the problem probably lies elsewhere. Try SFC /SCANNOW with no  further paramters to check the integrity of all of the Windows files.

If you want to find another copy of any DLL it is worth looking in the dllcache folder as well as the latest SP installation files.

A third approach you can try is to roll back to the previous SP and then reinstall the latest SP - that should update the file to the latest version. You will need to apply any updates again that were released after the SP.

Innuendo:
Search "tcpip.sys", and think differently; it was still a well known problem on XP.-Curt (May 02, 2010, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll take your word for it, but this is the first I'm hearing about it & I've serviced a crap-load of XP systems over the years & never once has one had this problem you are describing.

I'd love to be able to catalog all these systems with this problem & see what the common elements between them were.

I honestly thought the tcpip.sys problem had gone the way of the dodo bird.

Curt:
First, merely some boring quotes (sorry!):

Windows XP SP2 tcpip.sys connection limit patch

Windws XP SP2 introduces a few new twists to TCP/IP in order to babysit users and "reduce the threat" of worms spreading fast without control. In one such attempt, the devs seem to have limited the number of possible TCP connection attempts per second to 10 (from unlimited in SP1). This argumentative feature can possibly affect server and P2P programs that need to open many outbound connections at the same time.-SpeedGuide, 2004
--- End quote ---

When faced with the tcpip.sys blue screen error, all of a sudden, your screen freezes and the blue screen display a message which says your screen has frozen. You will be faced with quite a few questions on if any new programs or hard ware have been installed recently. You will also find DLL errors. What Causes tcpip.sys blue screen? Tcpip.Sys Blue Screen can be caused by a lot of reasons, but an invalid and corrupted registry entry is one of the most common causes for this problem. ... (this post was really merely an advert for some registry cleaner, but shows the problem still was known less than five weeks ago...)
--- End quote ---
-March 29, 2010
--- End quote ---

Modify your tcpip.sys file manually, using a hex editor. The following instructions refer to the final release of XP SP2, with a tcpip.sys file of exactly 359,040 bytes, CRC-32 is 8042A9FB, and MD5 is 9F4B36614A0FC234525BA224957DE55C. Even thouh there might be multiple tcpip.sys files in your system, make sure to work with the one in c:\windows\system32\drives\ directory.

To remove the tcpip.sys socket creation limit:
- Backup your original tcpip.sys file before editing please, this is somewhat important !
- In your hex editor, go to offset 4F322 hex (or 324386 decimal).
- Change 0a 00 00 00 to 00 00 0a 00

All done ! The above change does not require editing of the CRC in offset 130 hex
http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=1497
--- End quote ---
-March 2006
--- End quote ---

APPLIES TO:
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Server
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server
    * Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional Edition

When a TCP/IP network connection is programmatically disassociated or removed when a receive operation is in progress, your computer may stop responding (hang) and display the following error message on a blue screen:

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0xFF8BA000,0x00000002,0x00000001,0xF3AAA40E)
DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

RESOLUTION:
To resolve this problem, obtain the latest service pack for Windows 2000. For additional information, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
260910  (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260910/EN-US/ )

Microsoft has confirmed that this is a problem in the Microsoft products that are listed at the beginning of this article.

This problem was first corrected in Windows 2000 Service Pack 1.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/260956
--- End quote ---
-March 2007
--- End quote ---

Microsoft updated TPCIP.SYS in today's (14 June 2006) release of Windows XP critical updates resulting in the half open connections limit being reset to 10. Anyone who has increased their half open connections limit with the LvlLord patch needs to re-patch after installing today's Windows XP updates.http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=10872
--- End quote ---
-June 2006
--- End quote ---

MAYBE I got something from a program that hasn't been properly updated for Vista?
-or something.  :tellme:

---
My Blue Screen error message:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x0000020, 0x00000002, 0,00000000, 0x8BA8565F)
tcpip.sys - Address 8BA8565F base at 8BA03000, Datestamp 4b1e9050

Eóin:
You can use Replacer for easing the job of the actual replacement.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version