topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:13 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: HowTo repair/replace tcpip.sys ?  (Read 52371 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: HowTo repair/replace tcpip.sys ?
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2010, 05:29 PM »
However, when I think back on the various blue screens, or more correctly when I think at what happened the seconds before the blue screens, I think I remember that at least 3 out of 4 times, I was just about to enter some homepage. Well, today I was changing the settings inside AnVir Task Manager Pro, and the following words that I never read or understood before  suddenly made new sense to me:

Glad you got your system working, Curt....if you hadn't doubted my words in post #5 in this thread we would have gotten to the bottom of this problem sooner. :)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2010, 03:17 AM »
touché  :-[

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2010, 02:10 AM »
Yes, Outpost may indeed be the problem...
Outpost is definitely not your problem,
I .... Outpost ..., and I have a lifetime license; so I (too) am looking forward to version 7.  ;)

-and now it is here. But what about my lifetime license? Will Agnitum honour their words? So far, it seems *not*!!! I hope they very soon will realize that a lifetime license for Security Suite 2009 not just is a license for version 2009 only, but for the Security Suite. The word "lifetime" simply cannot point to a fixed version's number.

But maybe I yet just haven't found the proper way to update.

:tellme:  

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2010, 07:45 AM »
But what about my lifetime license?

Unfortunately, most "lifetime" licenses are only for the lifetime of the offer.  >:(

It's guaranteed for Life! Yours, ours, or this promotion - whichever comes first.  :P

steeladept

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2010, 08:08 AM »
Unfortunately, most "lifetime" licenses are only for the lifetime of the offer.  >:(

It's guaranteed for Life! Yours, ours, or this promotion - whichever comes first.  :P
I too learned this the hard way and is why I never buy lifetime licenses any more.  The real kicker for me was when one small company decided they weren't making enough money to make the product anymore, so they renamed it for the next release, called it a new product, and made it subscription only.  Needless to say, I don't use their software anymore - at least not anything newer than what I already have.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2010, 08:23 AM »
-and now it is here. But what about my lifetime license? Will Agnitum honour their words? So far, it seems *not*!!! I hope they very soon will realize that a lifetime license for Security Suite 2009 not just is a license for version 2009 only, but for the Security Suite. The word "lifetime" simply cannot point to a fixed version's number.

A lot of antivirus products offer both a lifetime license and time limited licenses (either 6 months or 1 year). This doesn't cover what you think it does.

The one year license is for that version only, and gives you one year of updates (not to be confused with upgrades). A 6 month license gives you 6 months of updates.

What this means is that the frequent updates to the detection dat files will only work for one year (or 6 months, depending on your license). After that, you can't update it any more without paying again.

A lifetime license to version 2009 will allow you to receive newly released dat files to version 2009, for life (or until they drop support for that version and stop releasing dat files, which they usually do about 3-5 years later), rather than for only one year. It does not allow you free upgrades to the next product version.

You could still be using version 2009 in 2011, and still getting updates to the dat files, where someone that only had a one year license wouldn't be able to get those updates any more.

Neither of you would be entitled to version 2010 (or newer) as part of your license.

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2010, 08:45 AM »

At least Acme parachutes are guaranteed for the life of the user.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2010, 12:10 PM »
FALSE ALARM!!!

Will Agnitum honour their words? So far, it seems *not*!!! I hope they very soon will realize that a lifetime license for Security Suite 2009 not just is a license for version 2009 only, but for the Security Suite. The word "lifetime" simply cannot point to a fixed version's number.

As I added; it's about finding the proper way to update:

Dear Curt,

Thank you for your message.

You can download Outpost Security Suite 7.0 from:
http://www.agnitum.c...y-suite/download.php

After installation, please, register it with your key.
Your key is valid for all versions of the product.

> *Congratulations on version 7 :-)

Thank you :)

--
All the best,
Svetlana Goncova
Agnitum Support
-Agnitum Support

:Thmbsup:

edited:
I was merely using a link I had in Firefox, leading to the "Security Suite" page. The link was 'old' so it was (of course) leading to version 2009. I didn't stop to think they would have a special page for the new version 7. Yeah, I know... sometimes the answer is too easy...
 :-[
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 12:27 PM by Curt »

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 12:18 PM »
"Your key is valid for all versions of the product."

Great! I think I have a couple of programs that with generous licenses like that, now that I think of it. Winzip being one of them (I registered 5.0 or 6.0 I think). Now I just use IZArc, though. And Total Recorder, I forgot what version, although I don't have much need to record audio from my computer anymore, so I don't install that either. That's not to say the new versions still offer the forever license, something like that can change with any version.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 07:18 PM »
Winzip being one of them (I registered 5.0 or 6.0 I think).

They changed their licensing terms with the release of v10 back in 2005, requiring everyone to purchase another license (at half price), or be stuck with nothing newer than v9 from that point forward.

How do I upgrade to the latest version?

Registered users of previous versions of WinZip applications are eligible to upgrade at 50% of the WinZip list prices. In order for you to receive a URL that will enable you to purchase an upgrade at this lower price, you will need to fill out the form for the correct application available from the links below.

Are WinZip upgrades free?

WinZip upgrades are not free. As with other software companies, WinZip has to invest a lot in new development to make sure that WinZip continues to perform correctly on new platforms and to address general changes in computer usage, such as larger files and the need for encryption. In addition we have added a lot of new functionality that took WinZip beyond the basic zipping and unzipping functionality, including new task automation functionality that makes data backup a whole lot easier. The latest versions of WinZip include industry-leading Jpeg compression, as well as new photo management and sharing capabilities -- all thanks to the investment made in research and development.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 04:04 AM »
Got way off topic but ... why the heck does anyone want to use Winzip any more? Why not just download 7zip for free and have a much better product?

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2010, 04:24 AM »
Got way off topic but ... why the heck does anyone want to use Winzip any more? Why not just download 7zip for free and have a much better product?
-Carol Haynes (May 27, 2010, 04:04 AM)

Exactly, that's why I use IZArc these days.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2010, 04:50 AM »
7-Zip

Donations are not necessary now. Thanks.

Copyright (C) 2009 Igor Pavlov.
-Register

:-*

daddydave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • test
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2010, 07:15 AM »
7-Zip

Donations are not necessary now. Thanks.

Copyright (C) 2009 Igor Pavlov.
-Register

:-*

IZArc is freeware, too. I used 7Zip for a while, but there was something about the way 7Zip File Manager specifies destination paths that rankled me. However, if you use 7ZFM/7Zip, I highly recommend the 7-Zip Theme Manager -- and I'm reading that it is compatible with the 64-bit version now.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2010, 09:51 AM »
touché  :-[

Hope I didn't come off too harsh with that. Just re-read it and I meant it more as a teasing than an "I told you so" so I hope you didn't take offense. You got the problem fixed & that's all that really matters in the end.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2010, 09:55 AM »
I was merely using a link I had in Firefox, leading to the "Security Suite" page. The link was 'old' so it was (of course) leading to version 2009. I didn't stop to think they would have a special page for the new version 7. Yeah, I know... sometimes the answer is too easy...

Glad you got it sorted, Curt. While some companies are guilty of the behavior April and others have outlined, Agnitum has publicly stated on more than one occasion that the lifetime license for the security suite is valid for all future versions (2010, 2011, or whatever else the name changes to).

It was a very good deal the offer they had & I think they realized it was too good a deal because they haven't repeated it yet even though the firewall program seems to be on perpetual sale for a lifetime license.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30 AM »
touché  :-[

Hope I didn't come off too harsh with that. Just re-read it and I meant it more as a teasing than an "I told you so" so I hope you didn't take offense. You got the problem fixed & that's all that really matters in the end.
..., today I was changing the settings inside AnVir Task Manager Pro, and the following words that I never read or understood before  suddenly made new sense to me:

Enable Internet traffic monitoring. (May cause errors in network driver tcpip.sys).
-AnVir Task Manager Pro

Glad you got your system working, Curt....if you hadn't doubted my words in post #5 in this thread we would have gotten to the bottom of this problem sooner. :)

Maybe then I wouldn't have learned that AnVir already knew the answer, and maybe I wouldn't have taken the time to figure out why my license key for Online Armor++ was nowhere to be found. But now I know the problem wasn't all that unique, and I finally backed up my license key email from the tall emu. So all in all, everything turned out for the best ;-)

Today my question merely is if I should install Outpost Security Suite 7 now, or if I should wait for "SP 1", so to speak? No, Outpost is not XP or Vista, there will be no SP 1, but ... you know ... will it be stable on my unstable Vista? Hmm... Online Armor++ already is working well...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2010, 09:42 PM »
Today my question merely is if I should install Outpost Security Suite 7 now, or if I should wait for "SP 1", so to speak? No, Outpost is not XP or Vista, there will be no SP 1, but ... you know ... will it be stable on my unstable Vista? Hmm... Online Armor++ already is working well...

If Online Armor++ is working well you may want to stick with that, but I am a beta tester and while the first two betas were rather rough, by the time we got to the private RC candidate things were running smoothly. Then came the public RC and then the final which is up for download now.

If you're still curious, though, I suggest you run down the list of features OSS has and see if you'll be missing anything important if you stick with Online Armor++.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2010, 10:51 AM »

Took the time today to poke around Online Armor's site and I cannot speak towards the strengths it has over Agnitum's OSS as I have never used Online Armor, but I can speak towards the few 'deficiencies' I found (And, of course, what may be a deficiency to me may not be of consequence at all to you):

- Online Activation: Online Armor requires online activation for its licenses whereas Agnitum's OSS does not. I won't get into the arguments about this, but I always try to avoid online activation wherever possible.

- VB100: Agnitum's OSS regularly brings in VB100 awards and that gives me a warm tingly feeling inside. I don't know Online Armor's track records with VB100, but I'm thinking if they had something to crow about it'd be plastered all over their site alongside all the other reviews & testimonials.

- 64-bit support: In order to get access to the Online Armor 64-bit exe you have to send an email to be included in the private beta. Agnitum's OSS has a mature, publicly tested 64-bit exe that has been working spendidly for me on Windows 7 x64 thus far. Of course, this bullet point is meaningless if you do not run a 64-bit OS.