topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:38 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Feature request/Plugin idea] Access last window menus  (Read 4501 times)

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
It would be very cool if FARR could access other application's menus, like Quicksilver for Mac does. I was looking through the window api a bit and there is a possibility to get window menus using window handle, but I was unable to make it work. I could see problems with getting the menus of some apps like Office 2007 etc, but what I am really interested is to make it work with at least Notepad++.

Ideas?
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Feature request/Plugin idea] Access last window menus
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 04:09 PM »
May be you know the following already, but FWIW:

IIRC, QS used MacOS X's Accessibility API for this (at least at one point).  For Windows, there's:

http://msdn.microsof...indows/bb735024.aspx

with interesting-sounding tibdits like "UI Automation".  Don't know if any of that would be useful in the current context though.

AHK has WinMenuSelectItem and here's some extract from its docs:

...However, some windows might need to be in a non-minimized state.

This command will not work with applications that use non-standard menu bars. Examples include Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express, which use disguised toolbars for their menu bars. In these cases, consider using ControlSend or PostMessage , which should be able to interact with some of these non-standard menu bars.

May be some of those things in combination with %LASTHWND% would let a plugin or alias do something relevant.