topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 10:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [Feature request] Context sensitivity and alias list  (Read 5009 times)

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[Feature request] Context sensitivity and alias list
« on: April 29, 2010, 11:47 PM »
Can it be done so when user selects a file and types in + that all of available aliases and search modifiers be listed in search results?
Eg. I have an alias Zip that zips selected file. What I would like to see is: I select a file, then type in +, and a list of available aliases is shown, then I can select Zip from that list and Farr executes that alias. Then eventually, a plugin or something could be made to add all the context menu items for a selected file/folder to that list.

Additionally, can FARR become aware of what was selected when FARR was called? For example - I select a file in explorer and open FARR. FARR opens up with the file typed in the search bar.

Combined it would look like this. Click on a file - open FARR - +zip [or select from a list of actions] - enter. And my file is zipped.
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [Feature request] Context sensitivity and alias list
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:27 AM »
ok so to answer the first question -- it can't be done currently but i have been thinking about adding something like that.. it wouldn't be too hard to have a table of filename patterns -> aliases that can run on them.

as for the file explorer to farr, i recall that something like this may exist.. or maybe it's the reverse that exists, going from farr search into file explorer..

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 02:33 AM »
as for the file explorer to farr, i recall that something like this may exist.. or maybe it's the reverse that exists, going from farr search into file explorer..
I don't know if it will help, but FWIW, I've been using:

https://www.donation...ex.php?topic=21223.0

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 05:47 PM »
ok so to answer the first question -- it can't be done currently but i have been thinking about adding something like that.. it wouldn't be too hard to have a table of filename patterns -> aliases that can run on them.
I was thinking something in the lines of getting context menu items and adding those as actions on every file. Or at least the open with list items.

I did a quick research on that and found no elegant solution. Best what I can come up with is using the clipboard. If you copy files they end up in clipboard as DataFormats.FileDrop which is a string[] containing the list of filenames. I tried putting all that in a plugin but it made no sense, since I couldn't get a plugin to activate as soon as FARR is activated.
Maybe this technique can be adapted to ewemoa's solution as a quick fix, but I think that should become a core function in the long run.

Another thing that comes to mind is what to do when multiple files are selected? The only thing I can think of right now is to add another field/simple result list/tab/something to FARR that could hold multiple selected files. And that the main result window shows actions available to those files. But I am thinking too much Quicksilver/Skylight/MightyBox way, which is not that bad by itself but I don't want FARR to suffer a lot of changes.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 05:51 PM »
..to add another field/simple result list/tab/something to FARR that could hold multiple selected files.

this was along the lines of what i was thinking.. a way to queue up files or put them in a basket for working with.

skajfes

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 06:12 PM »
I was playing a bit in Paint.Net and came up with this. Added tabs (when needed) to hold the results. Idea is to use shift+enter or something to add items to queue/basket and to use ctrl+tab to change tabs. offcourse i am not really sure of how would all this work but let's call it brainstorming - not every idea has to be a good one. :D

If off to bed :)

farr_mockup.png[Feature request] Context sensitivity and alias list

putnum

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 07:36 AM »
wow i like it!! :Thmbsup: