topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Auto-Rotate  (Read 6209 times)

XdragonSB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Auto-Rotate
« on: April 28, 2010, 09:39 AM »
Is there a way for the dock to auto-rotate whenever the mouse is not on it?
I tried searching the forums... and either I'm blind or I can't find anything on it.

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Auto-Rotate
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Greetings XdragonSB  :)
Welcome to Donationcoder and Circle Docks little portion of it.

There is actually no setting for what you suggest, although does sound interesting  :huh:
I can see making such an option available, but I would point out that a continuously spinning Circle Dock will run up system utilization. Something to keep in mind.

Knowing this; do you think it would be a good option???
An elective setting that will spin the dock, while teh mouse is away from the dock???

Let us know  :tellme:

XdragonSB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 04:40 PM »
Well, anything will run on my computer fine. I mean, it's just an add on, so if a user with a computer can't handle it, then they have the choice to disable it.

I kind of want my Windows to feel like a whole new OS, not a mac or a linux, but something unique.
I chose circle dock to be the desktop because it looked like a futuristic style of a OS

My circle dock is positioned on the lower left, so all the icons can't be seen unless you scroll with your mouse or use the arrow keys.
I want the dock to continuously rotate, so that i can wait for my icon to appear to click it, or if I don't want to wait, I can put my mouse over the dock and scroll to make it rotate faster.

Anyway, that's just my vision.

---

A spinning dock would be a great addition to the 2010 version of circle dock, in my opinion.
I just don't know how to code. :/

sgtevmckay

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • Magis Esse
    • View Profile
    • Rainmeter
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 04:54 PM »
A spinning dock would be a great addition to the 2010 version of circle dock, in my opinion.
I just don't know how to code. :/

That's cool..neither do I, so we will let Markham get in on this....

I think it would also be nice to control the "Slowness" of the rotation speed when the mouse is away...do not need anything blinding fast or distracting ;)

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 01:42 AM »
I will look into this but promise nothing. I foresee several problems though this first of which is distraction: a constantly moving part of the screen is going to attract they eye. The second is speed related: the more Dock Items a dock contains, the longer it takes to paint the Dock. And thirdly it will be a drain on CPU resources - you certainly wouldn't want to enable such a feature on a Netbook!

If it does get included, it will be a version 2 enhancement.

Mark

XdragonSB

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 05:35 PM »
Aren't the icons "objects"?
And can't you make the objects change x,y?
Cuz when my friend worked on some coding, he had objects move around the screen and that barely drained a thing...
Well, I don't really have the right to say because I don't know how this whole thing is scripted.

But thanks for considering it... I just want my high-end computer to look real fancy xD

Markham

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Circle Dock
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 02:21 PM »
I have now investigated your request and, as I feared, automatic rotation of the Dock requires too much in the way of system resources - in fact memory usage rises by 500%.

Also to achieve a smooth scroll, the routine to calculate and move the Dock Items needs to be called ten times a second with an increment of half a degree: that produces a fairly slow scroll. To speed it up, say double the speed to 10 degrees/sec, that routine would have to be called twice as often - ie 20 times per second.

My initial tests were with 7 dock items in a single orbit. Two orbits of seven items in each orbit took twice as long.

My aim is to keep Circle Dock as 'lean and mean' as possible - meaning it should be meagre with system resources. Such an enhancement does not fit within that aim and won't be on-developed.

Mark