topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:27 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: make mouse cursor "wrap" or "warp" to opposite screen edge (for multi screens)  (Read 38053 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'd like to be able to wrap the mouse cursor around the edges of the screens i'm using, so:

that's 3 screens in a row.
cursor hits edge of far right screen then...
wraps arounnd (or jumps) to edge of far left screen.
(and in the opposite direction of travel.)

or, can anyone recommend a mouse util that will do this that will work with multi-monitor setups.

thanks.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
either CursorUS or Edgeless should do the trick. while i'm not sure whether CursorUS has multi-monitor support, Edgeless has a new version that supports dual monitors. btw, Edgeless has no web-page of its own so you have to scroll down a bit. there is also Multi-Monitor Mouse but it's hotkey-based.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i'd like to be able to wrap the mouse cursor around the edges of the screens i'm using, so:

that's 3 screens in a row.
cursor hits edge of far right screen then...
wraps arounnd (or jumps) to edge of far left screen.

Just curious... are you down to 3 screens now? 
If not, what happens on the display above the others when using continuous mouse movement?

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks for the suggestions lanux128. unfortunately none of them work (not even with xp compatibility mode on).

Multi Mouse Monitor looks like it should work but as it requires keyboard or mouse buttons to activate that isn't of much use. i'm looking for a solution that just monitors the cursor and wraps it automatically. (this util didn't work with the hotkeys either.)

i'm thinking i'm going to have to delve into autohotkey to get the solution i need.

cranioscopical, i'm still using four screens but i've only got 3 in a row (the fourth is above the middle screen). so i was just hoping to wrap the cursor around the horizontal far edges. but it would be a bonus to wrap the middle screens in a vertical direction - out the top and up through the bottom, etc.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:12 AM by nudone »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
what is your OS? btw, there are some solutions in AHK but you may need to test them on your PC to see if they work or not..

CnSnapshot.gif
Cursor Navigator 1.05 [ by Andreone ]
(yet another) Mouse Wrapper - supports multi-heads

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
excellent finds, lanux128.

Cursor Navigator doesn't work correctly with multi-screens but MouseWrapper works perfectly - which i think is pretty amazing on my inverted T layout.

i'd tried searching for "autohotkey wrap cursor" using google but never found anything of much use - so i really appreciate what you've done.

(i'll send you some DC credits later.) thanks again.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
MouseWrapper works perfectly
-nudone
That's a good one to know about, thanks gentlemen!

(yet another) Mouse Wrapper - supports multi-heads
Aha!
So, it wasn't written by Zaphod Beeblebrox?

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:12 AM by cranioscopical »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
heheh, very good.

as it seems this might be of use to others, here's my little script for sliding the mouse cursor about.

you can use the keyboard hotkeys (e.g. winkey + j to slide cursor down a screen) but i really set it up so that my programmable mouse could attach mouse buttons to the hotkeys (i've got about 13 buttons on the mouse).

the script is very basic - to the point that it won't work on your system unless you change the numbers around. but it might give you something to play with if you want to slide the mouse about.

just to put it into context:
my mouse scroll left/right buttons (on the scroll wheel) now make the cursor slide one screen across left or right.

my thumbscroll button, pushed up/down with my thumb, now makes the cursor slide up or down a screen.

(the sliding cursor function will also drag windows by their titlebar if you are holding them - which wasn't intentional but it's nice that it works like that.)

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 12:08 PM by nudone »

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
excellent finds, lanux128.

Cursor Navigator doesn't work correctly with multi-screens but MouseWrapper works perfectly - which i think is pretty amazing on my inverted T layout.

i'd tried searching for "autohotkey wrap cursor" using google but never found anything of much use - so i really appreciate what you've done.

(i'll send you some DC credits later.) thanks again.

thanks for the credits, nudone. i'm glad that the script works on your system. :)

btw, if you want to search for more AHK solutions, try their forums search, it is much more reliable.

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
thanks PhilB66. i'd already tried that one - you (or someone else might have mentioned it elsewhere on the forum).

it doesn't really provide the wrapping option - rather the opposite, in that it will momentarily pause the mouse when it touches the edge of the screen. the hotkey for jumping to another monitor isn't that helpful either.

at the moment MouseWrapper works the best for wrapping.

downloder

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greetings all,
As a noob here, I have plenty of questions.....But for now, What do I do with a .ahk file?  (SlideCursor.ahk)
From what I have read so far, there is a tremendous amount of info here and I've just scratched the surface.
Thank you all for the data/pgms/notes/info here. I am sure to be donating as soon as our funds arrive this month.
(yeh, I'm an old fart with a limited income.....but we're happy and content!)

Will appreciate any advise.
'Til later   ;)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
you need to download and install Autohotkey (http://www.autohotkey.com/download/) then you can double-click on SlideCursor.ahk to make it active.

also check out the Quick-start Tutorial.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Greetings all,
As a noob here,
Welcome!
I have plenty of questions.....But for now, What do I do with a .ahk file?
Go to the AutoHotkey web site to download and then install the (free) AutoHotkey software.
Once that's done simply double-clicking an icon for any .ahk program will cause it to run.
There is excellent documentation available on the site, and installing the software also installs first-rate help files.

AutoHotkey is tremendously useful. You can simply enjoy programs that others have created (many are here on DC) or you can begin programming things yourself. There are many example scripts available. DonationCoder is a very good site on which to ask .ahk questions.

Have fun!

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Cool!
I also remember this being a feature of a mouse driver package I used ages ago.

Question: does it wrap windows as well?
As in: you've grabbed a window at monitor #3 and want to drag it to #1.
Does the Window go as well?

Found this one, too
Mouse Wrap:
http://www.qdwares.com/mousewrap/

And if you want to wrap between systems (imagine a mouse-wrap KVM), try Synergy2:
http://synergy2.sourceforge.net/

downloder

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks much.  We'll look at the tutorial first thing.   :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile