ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Post New Requests Here

IDEA: label files to store them by type & find them by label

(1/3) > >>

eusebius:
We all know what a mess your pc can be ... you're looking for a file, that's somewhere and you can't find it. I've searched over the internet for a program like this (and which i couldn't find, so i request it here :) ):

A program which is basically a explorer, but with the abillity to add a virtual treenode. Why? With such a program, you can store all your files by type (for example: all doc's in /docs, all xls in /xls etx). The "program" can add to each file a label (eg in a xml db or something) or labels. So you get an explorer like window like this:

+ by type (the physical tree, so is it on the HDD)
|   - /docs
|   - /xls
+ by subject (virtual tree)
|   - /car
|   - /work
etc

foobar1.doc and foobar2.doc are stored in /docs, but foobar1 is labeled as
car and foobar2 as work. foobar3.xls is in /xls and labeled as car.
Clicking on the different node's will result in something like:

+ by type
|   - /docs [foobar1.doc and foobar2.doc]
|   - /xls [foobar3.xls]
+ by subject
|   - /car [foobar1.doc and foobar3.xls
|   - /work [foobar2.doc]
etc

jgpaiva:
I think that program you proposed is extremely usefull, and unfortunately, I've never seen one like it.

It would be something somewhat similar to windows vista's "virtual folders", right?
I like the tag utility, i use it in gmail, and consider it a great way of organizing things.

The problem is, that this is not exactly a "coding snack", i think it's much harder than that.
Altough, if someone decides to do it, i think it would be a very nice app to be running in the tray, and then you just drag and drop a file in the icon, and a dialog comes up to ask you for a tag and a description of the file. (maybe even a contextmenu in explorer? ;) )

Anyways, I'm a supporter of your idea, eusebius, I'd like to see such app. And who knows, maybe it even already exists! :D

eusebius:
I'm not sure if it exists ... i've spend the whole day to search for something like this.

* Wintree can tag files, but only tag or untag.
* there are some dms-systems (document managment systems), but that's a whole different approach.

The idea is to have only in every folder a xml with data (such as "doc1.doc" tag="house, money"). The program act only as an explorer & explorer with a filter. A basic explorer isn't hard to build (there are several snippets around), but the problem is the 'virtual explorer'. This one reads the xml-files and sorts the labels together.

In fact, it is a way to enter your files trough a database-system.

Rover:
I think there was some talk about something like this in association with a Database Oriented Filesystem.  I haven't looked into it for a couple of years. 

Personally, I was pretty excited about the possibility of finding something like this at the file system level.   I think the trend now is to do it at the web level.

If you look at Google desktop, MS Sharepoint services and Novell Ifolders (plus virtual office), that's sort of the grown up version of all of these apps.  The cool think about doing it on the web is that the OS becomes irrelevant.

Good lick in your quest.

mouser:
i think zaine had a post about a program that does this on his blog.

go to http://www.anova.org/blog/ and scroll way down to this:

07 August 2005
TaskTracker's unique non-hierarchical file model
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version