ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G

<< < (25/26) > >>

mwb1100:
I think JavaJones and Carol have hit on the big 2 reasons for the high incarceration rate in the US: the War on Drugs and law enforcement as an economic force (which goes far beyond prisons as business). I think both are an outgrowth of the 'military-industrial complex' that has grown in the US since the end of WWII.

Hey - how's that for thread drift...?

40hz:
I think I'm going to bow out of this discussion.

Best to all & carry on!  :) :Thmbsup:

Renegade:
Sorry. It wasn't my intention to derail/drift the thread so much. (I think that thread drift is an inevitable event in constructive discussions when there are differences in opinion. That drift is an attempt to discover the underlying metaphysical principles that people hold that are the root cause of the disagreement. You heard it here first! ;) )

Because we'd rather jail somebody than tell them what to think.
--- End quote ---

It seems to me that you are very optimistic there. I'm not really so forgiving and don't have such a bright outlook on the topic there.

To me, it seems more like a form of tyranny where people are imprisoned for no good reason. The marijuana example seems to be an excellent one. Pot-heads don't run around robbing, raping and murdering. They're pretty harmless. Why would anyone want to throw them in prison? To satisfy their own self-righteousness?

Other potential (and historical) examples include:

* * Religious "offenses" (witchcraft, blasphemy) and
* * Sexual "offenses" between consenting adults (homosexuality, sodomy, prostitution, etc.) and
* * Even simply believing different things (McCarthyism) or
* * Being of the wrong ethnicity (Jews, blacks, Japanese, etc.) or
* * Having the wrong profession (again prostitution, unlicensed doctors/lawyers)
* * Not belonging to the right club or organization (again, unlicensed doctors/lawyers, non-union workers, etc.)
* * Saying the wrong thing (stating beliefs contrary to some [arbitrary] standard, e.g. speech that can be considered racist, communist/religious/capitalist speech in different places, etc. etc.)
At what point should something be illegal? There are many laws that people are in prison for that we don't need.

To sum up my [general] position there, I believe that a lot of what is "illegal" should be removed from the law books. I'm all for having the minimal set of laws required for society to function smoothly. Fewer laws are better.

To sum up my [thread specific] position on the Apple / Gizmodo / Police raid thing, I don't see why the law needs to get involved at all. If you're stupid enough to lose (at a bar) truly valuable [intellectual] property that belongs behind locked doors, then it's your own fault. Boo-hoo. Smarten up next time and grow up. Don't get drunk, lose stuff, then start crying about it.

Anyways, this has been very interesting. A lot of very different positions here.

Stoic Joker:
Outside of softening the angle on the engineer's role (company policy put the phone in his hand on the street - the outcome was inevitable), that pretty much sums up my take on the whole affair.

If Apple would have left their very own internal gaystapo perched on the guys door step (not just visit once as a token gesture), to sweat the phone out of him - I'd of thought that to be funny as hell - It would even have earned them a few points in my book. But instead the bully went crying to mommy because little johnny stood up to them...and that just ain't right.

Renegade:
Outside of softening the angle on the engineer's role (company policy put the phone in his hand on the street - the outcome was inevitable), that pretty much sums up my take on the whole affair.

If Apple would have left their very own internal gaystapo perched on the guys door step (not just visit once as a token gesture), to sweat the phone out of him - I'd of thought that to be funny as hell - It would even have earned them a few points in my book. But instead the bully went crying to mommy because little johnny stood up to them...and that just ain't right.
-Stoic Joker (May 07, 2010, 06:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I would have thought that the engineer/Apple would have the intelligence to call the phone and ask for it back nicely. Seems to be asking too much though. :P

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version