ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G

<< < (14/26) > >>

wraith808:
So if you take a computer today and take it back to 1975 it would be worth nothing?  Yeah... I'd like to see that.  Even without the OS, it would still be worth quite a bit, and thinking that it wouldn't be makes me see that perhaps I should bow out of this conversation.  It's quite obvious that *even without the OS* a next generation iPhone is worth more than $100 intrinsically.  Gizmodo made more than the $5k on the phone, and the person that sold it made more than the $100 that is speculated.  If it wasn't worth more than $100 how do you explain that?  But I suppose that makes no difference in calculating worth?

And as a BTW, I know for a *fact* that my Volvo will crank without the Central Electric Module installed and working- because I've had to do it before.  Just as the iPhone without the OS still starts.  The hardware does indeed work... you just have to replace the software.

Eóin:
I really hope I'm in a position to purchase technology from some of the people in this thread someday. ;)

Stoic Joker:
So if you take a computer today and take it back to 1975 it would be worth nothing?  Yeah... I'd like to see that.  Even without the OS, it would still be worth quite a bit,-wraith808 (April 30, 2010, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Once again to whom? Back in 75 there was what maybe a dozen or so engineers that would have had a clue what they were looking at - To anyone else on the planet it's a doorstop.

and thinking that it wouldn't be makes me see that perhaps I should bow out of this conversation.
--- End quote ---
That'd make for a dull afternoon... :( ;)

It's quite obvious that *even without the OS* a next generation iPhone is worth more than $100 intrinsically.
--- End quote ---

Not to me... :)

Gizmodo made more than the $5k on the phone, and the person that sold it made more than the $100 that is speculated.  If it wasn't worth more than $100 how do you explain that?  But I suppose that makes no difference in calculating worth?
--- End quote ---

:huh: Gizmodo Made money on the phone? I thought they paid $5k for the phone - or did Apple reimburse them the finders fee + gratuity?

And as a BTW, I know for a *fact* that my Volvo will crank without the Central Electric Module installed and working- because I've had to do it before.  Just as the iPhone without the OS still starts.  The hardware does indeed work... you just have to replace the software.
--- End quote ---

I can assure you that is not the norm for the modern day automobile. Some older vehicles weren't entirely dependent on the solid state engine control units...but now days with coil packs and the distributer no-longer being used, the only route from the crank position sensor to the plugs is through the (software) brain.

Frankly, to me the "value" of said phone is irrelevant, as I really don't consider it's little roadtrip a theft in any way, kind, sort, or form. Granted it ws perhaps a tad unethical of the participants... But no more so than any of the other crap that goes on behind closed doors of the corporate machine that we all know and "love".

Kind of like the scareware scams that are so prevalent today - Extortion is a crime - and if you or I tried that shit, we be in jail faster that we could blink. But... Corporation (with shiny 5 star legal team) does it, and all of a sudden its (to hard to prosecute) not illegal. The rules are different when (big) money is involved - and many things have a way of getting handled "internally".

All we really have here is a bully (Apple) that's gone crying to the (Fuzz) teacher because they got their bluff called. They got their silly damn phone back - everybody's even - let it go. There's just no profit in destroying Chan's poor ass.

wraith808:
So if you take a computer today and take it back to 1975 it would be worth nothing?  Yeah... I'd like to see that.  Even without the OS, it would still be worth quite a bit,-wraith808 (April 30, 2010, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
Once again to whom? Back in 75 there was what maybe a dozen or so engineers that would have had a clue what they were looking at - To anyone else on the planet it's a doorstop.
-Stoic Joker (April 30, 2010, 03:30 PM)
--- End quote ---
If you had given a *working* computer to me in 1975, I could have figured out quite a few things without an OS.  Give it to someone with a lab and degree... yeah.  You don't need an OS to learn quite a bit from the computer.  I guarantee if you'd give something like this to IBM the landscape when you got back to 2010 would be a *lot* different.  I'm not saying it would be instantaneous, but...

Gizmodo made more than the $5k on the phone, and the person that sold it made more than the $100 that is speculated.  If it wasn't worth more than $100 how do you explain that?  But I suppose that makes no difference in calculating worth?
--- End quote ---

:huh: Gizmodo Made money on the phone? I thought they paid $5k for the phone - or did Apple reimburse them the finders fee + gratuity?
--- End quote ---
Gizmodo makes money from traffic.  You don't think that this story boosted their traffic?  Therefore boost in traffic = money = profit on $5k.

All we really have here is a bully (Apple) that's gone crying to the (Fuzz) teacher because they got their bluff called. They got their silly damn phone back - everybody's even - let it go. There's just no profit in destroying Chan's poor ass.
--- End quote ---

There's a certain thing called a deterrent.  Gawker was warned about this when they *put* out the bounty, and they were able to get hardware from the bounty after being warned...   I wouldn't mind at all seeing them fry.  I don't agree with the tactics of the police, but I do think they need to be held accountable.

Stoic Joker:
So if you take a computer today and take it back to 1975 it would be worth nothing?  Yeah... I'd like to see that.  Even without the OS, it would still be worth quite a bit,-wraith808 (April 30, 2010, 02:14 PM)
--- End quote ---
--- End quote ---
If you had given a *working* computer to me in 1975, I could have figured out quite a few things without an OS.  Give it to someone with a lab and degree... yeah.  You don't need an OS to learn quite a bit from the computer.  I guarantee if you'd give something like this to IBM the landscape when you got back to 2010 would be a *lot* different.  I'm not saying it would be instantaneous, but...-wraith808 (April 30, 2010, 03:48 PM)
--- End quote ---
...Depending on who got ahold of it. You say you could do a great deal with it - Okay... - At what age? The one you are now, or the one you were in 1975? (It's a gamble on my part, you could be in your 60s now... ;)

Keep in mind the intention was to share a glimmer of thing to come with the throng of frothing accolades - Not to copy Uber Secret Chip X and rush it into production at competitor Y. Apple created "the Monster" that got off the chain - Gizmodo just gave it a carrot. A is business as usual. Were B the case I'd (still laugh, but) agree with you.

Gizmodo made more than the $5k on the phone, and the person that sold it made more than the $100 that is speculated.  If it wasn't worth more than $100 how do you explain that?  But I suppose that makes no difference in calculating worth?
--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Gizmodo makes money from traffic.  You don't think that this story boosted their traffic?  Therefore boost in traffic = money = profit on $5k.
--- End quote ---
-Legal fees = a vacuum.

--- End quote ---

There's a certain thing called a deterrent.  Gawker was warned about this when they *put* out the bounty, and they were able to get hardware from the bounty after being warned...   I wouldn't mind at all seeing them fry.  I don't agree with the tactics of the police, but I do think they need to be held accountable.
--- End quote ---
Accountable for what? Depriving Lord Jobs of a teensy weensy little spark from his next over-the-top release worship revival light show? If they actually had a product... other than their immense marketing hype inducer machine, this would be a total non-issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version