ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G

<< < (5/26) > >>

Dormouse:
 Who can pay $5000 for a phone that they know is not the person's who they are paying, and think that's right?
-wraith808 (April 27, 2010, 08:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
By paying the money and writing the story, they managed to get Apple to ask for their phone back.

If they hadn't paid the money & inspected the phone themselves, they could never have been sure it was Apple's instead of the imitation the Apple support people originally believed it to be. It wasn't impossible that they were paying for a copy.

Dormouse:
Apple is despicable. They are a petty, vindictive, sinister, secretive, closed, greedy, back-stabbing, disgraceful and evil company.
-Renegade (April 28, 2010, 06:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

It still bears even more repeating. :Thmbsup:
And it wasn't me that said it  ;D  ;D

wraith808:

* The person tries to RETURN THE IPHONE TO APPLE
* Apple ignores all (several) attempts to return the phone

-Renegade (April 28, 2010, 06:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

Reference?  From everything I read, the person was going to try to return it... then the next day the data was wiped remotely.  He was still going to try to return it, but then noticed that something was different, and after he realized that it wasn't just an vanilla iPhone decided to sell it.

Stoic Joker:
Whether he tried to return it or not is really academic - Outside of the 1872 blue-law they dredged up - Which ws predicated on there being less then 50 in the whole town...

[Reality Check]
History/Discovery/TLC (one of them) had a special about the volume of stuff lost/left on airplanes. One on the Items they sited was the iPhone ... There are 17,000 of them lost per day at various airports. Most of them go unclaimed, and are sold off (at Airline outlet stores) with the rest of the items that are left in Lost-&-Found for over a period of time.

JavaJones:
My understanding was that he "tried to give it back to Apple" by calling tech support or something. If tech support responded to "Hey, I have this next gen iPhone thingy. Do you want it?" with "I'm sorry sir, I don't know what you're on about, please stop binge drinking and taking drugs, go lie down for a while, then call us back when you have your head in order." then I wouldn't be surprised, nor would I necessarily blame them. Knowing support departments, there really aren't many easy/quick routes to escalate that sort of thing; just getting them to take you seriously would be a job in itself. That being said I'm not saying it's tech support's fault, I'm saying this guy could have done a better job of trying to return it. Or he could have, I don't know, called/facebooked/whatever the guy whose phone he had, because apparently all the guy's personal info was still on it before it got remotely erased by Apple.

And yes it does matter whether he tried to return it because that's his legal responsibility. If he is unable to return it to the rightful owner he should turn it over to the police and let them sort it out. That's my understanding of the legal requirement in this case. If he fails to do those things, he is essentially dealing with "stolen" property, and that's the argument I understand is being made against Gizmodo, that the search and seizure wasn't disallowed by journalistic protection laws because it was related to a felony investigation (theft) rather than a simple "give us your source" shakedown. Think about it, if "journalistic immunity" granted you the right to do whatever you wanted with stolen property and then just give it back when the owner asks for it with no consequences, I'm sure every Joe Random thief would have a blog to make them "journalists". ;)

- Oshyan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version