ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G

<< < (2/26) > >>

f0dder:
Lost and found doesn't equal stolen. You are of course supposed to go to steps to return a good before you can claim ownership and I tend to agree Gizmodo's actions here are very dubious.-Eóin (April 27, 2010, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---
Dubious indeed, and they deserved a visit by law enforcement and having the phone confiscated.

But a full search, being treated like a dangerous criminal, and seizing computers and servers? That's f*cking insane, and pisses me off. It's a phone they were supposed to retrieve.

Eóin:
There is a element of corporate espionage here, it's more serious than just the phone.

f0dder:
There is a element of corporate espionage here, it's more serious than just the phone.-Eóin (April 27, 2010, 12:35 PM)
--- End quote ---
I still think it's bull - like when American lobbyists flexed their muscles enough to get JLJ's home raided (even though he did nothing wrong according to Norwegian law) back in the DeCSS days.

wraith808:
As for the engineer, he definitely deserves to get fired. Of all places to bring such a device the pub was not one of them! I bet he just wanted to show it off.
-Eóin (April 27, 2010, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Why was the pub not one of them?  To get real-world usage, they have the focus group use the device as if it were their own phone.  Do you leave your phone at home just because you go to the pub?  And I doubt it was to show it off- I'm sure that is an actionable offense if you're in the focus group.  Read the original account of the finding of the phone- at first, until the person that found it actually took the cover off, they thought it was a 3G.

Eóin:
Well I just see it as taking a level of care and caution. Even if he wasn't drinking, so there isn't an issue of judgments being impaired, I still don't see how the risk can be justified. Pubs and night's out are generally risky places for expensive personal belongings of all kinds, given the importance of this particular item I just cannot see how bringing it along was a good idea.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version