ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G

<< < (6/26) > >>

Deozaan:
... the argument I understand is being made against Gizmodo, that the search and seizure wasn't disallowed by journalistic protection laws because it was related to a felony investigation (theft) rather than a simple "give us your source" shakedown.-JavaJones (April 28, 2010, 01:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't claim to know the exact details of the law, but I think you're mistaken.

Take for instance, when the New York Daily News stole the Empire State Building. Of course they gave it back (after having it for 24 hours), and nobody got in trouble for the theft.

JavaJones:
Interesting story, but it seems rather different to me. Not to mention I think if the city/owner decided to press charges, it still could have gotten nasty. There seems to be no mention of them being "protected", simply that there wasn't any legal implication, which may be because of nobody pressing charges.

Anyway you may well be right, my interpretation may be incorrect, but without actually looking at the statutes in question (particularly the one for California), as opposed to looking at past examples which may have other circumstances, I don't think we can say for certain.

- Oshyan

wraith808:
If I leave something anywhere, and someone sells it, I would feel violated.  People lose stuff all the time- that doesn't make it right that someone sells it.  And it definitely doesn't make it right that someone sells it knowing who it belongs to.  We might have to agree to disagree on this one- I'm not even talking about legal rights, but morality, even though I do believe that what they did should have been legally wrong also.

Deozaan:
If I leave something anywhere, and someone sells it, I would feel violated.-wraith808 (April 28, 2010, 07:16 PM)
--- End quote ---

I agree. But I think this is a little bit different.

For instance, if you lost something and the person who found it tried to return it to you--and you refused to take it back--would that change your opinion about them selling it?

Renegade:
SUMMARY: APPLE ABANDONED THE PHONE WHEN THEY WIPED IT AND PREVENTED THE PERSON THAT FOUND IT FROM RETURNING IT.

Contacting tech support or whatever is enough effort to try to return the device. It isn't his fault if the company (Apple) doesn't have reasonable communication channels for situations like that. He tried. They weren't able to receive his communications. Not his fault. Apple's fault.

As for returning the phone to police??? Huh? Why? Why should the police (or airports) profit be default? Why do they deserve to sell off lost articles more than the average Joe? The police don't make an effort to return things. They just wait until somebody shows up asking. If not, they sell it and keep the money. What inherently gives them the right to essentially confiscate all lost items? I have a very hard time seeing why anyone would have a moral responsibility to give a lost item to somebody that IS NOT THE OWNER. Sure - try to return it to its RIGHTFUL OWNER, but give something to someone that isn't the owner? That's nonsense.

Lost is lost. Saying that it was stolen is spinning the story and it's dishonest.

Put it this way, the average person has no way of knowing how to return a lost phone that has been remotely wiped of all data and disabled. It *IS* possible, but the amount of background information needed to do it is simply far beyond what a normal person can be expected to know. And even then, actually doing it is extremely difficult (that's an understatement).

There is a distinct difference between articles that contain contact information that can be used to return an item, e.g. a wallet or purse, and articles that are essentially "nameless". If Apple wiped the phone, then it's their own fault for not getting it back sooner. They sabotaged the 1 way that the guy that found it had to actually return it.

Ok, here's another angle... a pretty obvious one at that... If you lose your phone, WHY NOT CALL THE PHONE AND ASK FOR IT BACK??? Most people would answer and arrange for you to get it back. This is what most reasonable people do.

But nope. Apple wiped the phone (making it virtually impossible to return) and abandoned it. Lost. Not stolen. Apple then criminally deceived the courts into allowing them to ransack an innocent person's house.

Apple abandoned the phone, and then demonstrated their vicious, malevolent nature when it surfaced in the news.

Steve Jobs would make an excellent Sith.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version