ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Apple instigates Police Raid over lost/stolen iPhone 4G

(1/26) > >>

Deozaan:
Anyone hear about this?

Police have seized computers and servers belonging to an editor of Gizmodo in an investigation that appears to stem from the gadget blog's purchase of a lost Apple iPhone prototype.

"When I got home, I noticed the garage door was half-open," according to an account by Chen. "And when I tried to open it, officers came out and said they had a warrant to search my house and any vehicles on the property 'in my control.' They then made me place my hands behind my head and searched me to make sure I had no weapons or sharp objects on me."

Dalglish said that the San Mateo County search warrant violated the federal Privacy Protection Act, which broadly immunizes news organizations from searches--unless, in some cases, the journalists themselves committed the crime. The 1980 federal law requires police to use subpoenas to obtain information instead of search warrants, she said.

Editors at Gizmodo, part of Gawker Media's blog network, last week said they paid $5,000 for what they believed to be a prototype of a future iPhone 4G. The story said the phone was accidentally left at a bar in Redwood City, Calif., last month by an Apple software engineer and found by someone who contacted Gizmodo, which had previously indicated that it was willing to pay significant sums for unreleased Apple products.-http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20003446-37.html
--- End quote ---

cmpm:
the phone was accidentally left at a bar in Redwood City, Calif., last month by an Apple software engineer
--- End quote ---

that's the unbelievable part :)

wraith808:
I haven't heard about it, but IMO they deserve it.  As much as I might not approve of some of Apple's tactics, for Gizmodo to pay for a phone that they know was not the property of whom they were buying from was criminal.  And for them to post the follow up saying that they were trying to keep the engineer from getting fired was hypocrisy at its highest.  If they were really concerned about the engineer, they wouldn't have posted it, but would have done like several other news outlets and said that they would pass.  The guy was going to return the phone until he realized what he had- if Gizmodo hadn't put out their open bounty on Apple items, he might not have even tried to sell it.  Just my opinion, but this whole thing has rubbed me the wrong way.

the phone was accidentally left at a bar in Redwood City, Calif., last month by an Apple software engineer
--- End quote ---

that's the unbelievable part :)

-cmpm (April 27, 2010, 11:26 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well, apparently to get real world data, they let engineers use disguised versions of their upcoming products.  Makes a certain amount of sense, really.

Eóin:
For Gizmodo to pay for a phone that they know was not the property of whom they were buying from was criminal.-wraith808 (April 27, 2010, 11:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Lost and found doesn't equal stolen. You are of course supposed to go to steps to return a good before you can claim ownership and I tend to agree Gizmodo's actions here are very dubious.

As for the engineer, he definitely deserves to get fired. Of all places to bring such a device the pub was not one of them! I bet he just wanted to show it off.

40hz:
Anybody want some of this sushi Apple sent over?

It's red herring.  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version