ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

BootRacer-Check Your Boot Speed

(1/4) > >>

ha14:
When we tweak windows to gain some power speed, oftenly we are concerned with the booting speed and there is a soft called bootracer that can check the speed of booting and the speed to desktop once or on every boot as one wishes.  Well my first shock was that I had a poor booting result and had to close some programs that boots with windows in order to gain good ratings. So I thought to share with this community and others are welcomed to add their ratings here  :D

http://www.greatis.com/bootracer/

So are there who are more familiar with this soft?

MilesAhead:
You can get a VB script that shows the reboot time from this tutorial:

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/151819-boot-up-time.html

It doesn't have options like the software that must be installed. Just uses
the Run Once key and checks the timer tick.

If you have very high reboot times and trimming down the autostart stuff doesn't help you can also turn on boot logging.  Sometimes the computer times out waiting to load a driver that's no longer on the system.  That can add 10 or 20 seconds onto your boot time whereas a crowded startup folder only adds a few seconds on a fast machine with a fast HD.

When I first got my quad core I used PC decrapifier to clean off the unwanted-ware.  Unfortunately the uninstall doesn't always clean out Registry settings that try to load drivers that, after the uninstall, no longer exist. I had
to download "cleanup tools" to get rid of all the remnants.

Curt:
I am not too impressed with this minimalistic kind of programs. BootRacer doesn't try to include the aeons of time from the moment I click "C:\" in the computer boot logon and until the Vista logon shows up (I guess it may not be possible?). In my sad case this is several minutes. Nor does it try to count the shut-down timing. Which in my still sad case also is several minutes. Maybe I should have tried the "re-boot" feature, but I didn't.

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmm, I don't know if it's coincidence or the fact that BootSpeed puts that run-once entry in the Registry, but it seems like every time I go to time my warm boot using it, shutdown takes twice as long as normal(subjectively seems that way anyway.)

But Curt, if you use BootSpeed that's all it times is a warm boot. It sticks the entry in run once and stores the timer tick, then subtracts the timer tick from the current one when it opens on reboot. I haven't really looked at the code to see if it accounts for passing midnight or any of that. But the time is measured from the moment you click it until it comes up after the warm boot.

ha14:
 VB script gives only the boot time but bootracer calculates also time to desktop, has better interface and keeps history so one can scroll back and checks the best time that had and can try to figure out what went wrong if after that point the boot time is becoming bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version