ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Special User Sections > Site/Forum Features

Friendly 404

(1/4) > >>

Ampa:
I mistyped the forum URL on a friend's PC as donationcoder.com/forum and got a rather plain and unhelpful 404 page not found.

I know it is a small thing, but couldn't we have a nicer error page, which lists the major areas of the site, tries to redirect (after a few seconds) to the most likely destination if it can easily be guessed (eg. forum -> forums!).

mouser:
i think it's a great idea to have a nice looking 404 staring our mascot Cody, with maybe a list of likely destinations (mini site map); we'll get right on it!

40hz:
This was one of the best 404's I've ever seen:

http://1976design.com/blog/404

And this one is almost as helpful - but cuter. Incorporates a mascot theme too!

8)

------------------------------------------------------

w/thx to the folks at Smashing Magazine ( www.smashingmagazine.com ) for both.

Eóin:
My suggest would be to not make a 404 page too busy. I find on some sites that sometimes it take me a few moments to realize I'm not looking at a content page.

I think incorporating Cody is a great idea, as having an image dominate the 404 page very quickly indicates, to me at least, that this is not where I intended to be.

mouser:
I find on some sites that sometimes it take me a few moments to realize I'm not looking at a content page.
--- End quote ---
agreed -- it should be really clear you are on a 404.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version