Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site July 31, 2014, 08:46:11 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2010! Download 24 custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Friendly 404  (Read 6389 times)
Ampa
Charter Member

I am cute ;)

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: April 24, 2010, 08:39:24 AM »

I mistyped the forum URL on a friend's PC as donationcoder.com/forum and got a rather plain and unhelpful 404 page not found.

I know it is a small thing, but couldn't we have a nicer error page, which lists the major areas of the site, tries to redirect (after a few seconds) to the most likely destination if it can easily be guessed (eg. forum -> forums!).
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2010, 10:06:24 AM »

i think it's a great idea to have a nice looking 404 staring our mascot Cody, with maybe a list of likely destinations (mini site map); we'll get right on it!
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2010, 01:25:18 PM »

This was one of the best 404's I've ever seen:

http://1976design.com/blog/404

And this one is almost as helpful - but cuter. Incorporates a mascot theme too!

Cool

------------------------------------------------------

w/thx to the folks at Smashing Magazine ( www.smashingmagazine.com ) for both.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 01:27:43 PM by 40hz » Logged

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
Eóin
Charter Member

O'Callaghan

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2010, 03:14:30 PM »

My suggest would be to not make a 404 page too busy. I find on some sites that sometimes it take me a few moments to realize I'm not looking at a content page.

I think incorporating Cody is a great idea, as having an image dominate the 404 page very quickly indicates, to me at least, that this is not where I intended to be.

Interviewer: Is there anything you don't like?
Bjarne Stroustrup: Marketing hype as a substitute for technical argument. Thoughtless adherence to dogma. Pride in ignorance.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 03:36:25 PM »

I find on some sites that sometimes it take me a few moments to realize I'm not looking at a content page.
agreed -- it should be really clear you are on a 404.
cranioscopical
Friend of the Site
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 03:56:00 PM »

Quote from: mouser
a nice looking 404 staring our mascot Cody
agreed -- it should be really clear you are on a 404.
Yeah, you don't want people staring at Cody for too long  Wink

Chris
1NR1
Supporting Member

View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 10:09:25 PM »

Have a N.R.N.Y

(R for review)
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 03:17:46 AM »

How about a large dazed looking Cody wondering where the heck he is with just the usual site header and footer?

mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 03:25:35 AM »

i think the image of cody on pirate ship looking through his telescope would be a good 404 base image with some minor modifications.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 02:14:24 PM »

Maybe we need to have a contest to make a custom Cody 404 page for donationcoder.
Here is my entry, using Nudone's image of cody from our last NANY event:

http://www.donationcoder.com/About/404.html

nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 06:25:29 PM »

looks good to me.
housetier
Charter Honorary Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »

I say it needs more whitespace, and the links should have the same style as all the other links on dc.com
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 01:20:59 AM »

I say it needs more whitespace, and the links should have the same style as all the other links on dc.com
good points.
Carol Haynes
Waffles for England (patent pending)
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 04:42:58 AM »

Why not just use the normal site header and footer (menus etc) with a message that points to them and quicklinks to the home page and Forums. All the other links are already there.

For example just use the home page as it isbut replace the main body with the 404 message and Cody.

I like the Cody image though.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 04:44:30 AM by Carol Haynes » Logged

wraith808
Supporting Member

"In my dreams, I always do it right."

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »

Won't it have more whitespace in the wild?  That seems like a compressed layout... as a full page, you'd have a lot more space to fill...

parkint
Supporting Member

It's bad luck to be superstitious

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »

I REALLY like that one.
It is obvious, cute without being annoying.

Thumbs up from me!  Thmbsup

OldElmerFudd
Charter Member

Bite-sized trouble

« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 01:57:03 AM »

The whitespace is nice and the layout feels right. Good job!
 Thmbsup

Always code as if the guy who ends up maintaining your code is a violent psychopath and knows where you live.
lanux128
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2010, 02:09:12 AM »

something like this would cute, it still retains the normal site header and footer (menus etc) as Carol mentioned above.

http://gyazo.com/06eefac4...0123301c4ea9e1936fa1b.png

tomos
Charter Member

« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »

I only came across this by accident - it looks absolutely super -
I would say: dont change a thing  thumbs up  smiley

Tom
IainB
Supporting Member

Slartibartfarst

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 08:34:57 PM »

@mouser:
Here is my entry, using Nudone's image of cody from our last NANY event:
http://www.donationcoder.com/About/404.html
I think that is a great 404 design.     Thmbsup
+1 vote from me.

Out of interest, take a look at this for an amusing 404 from Snopes.com
http://snopes.com/Peter%20Cosgrove
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register