Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site November 22, 2014, 11:39:09 PM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

Free DonationCoder.com Member Kit: Submit Request.

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Discussion: How can we Improve DonationCoder?  (Read 22491 times)
alivingspirit
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2010, 12:08:56 AM »

There has been a huge growth of activity since I first started visiting DC. While the current interface for the forum is very good, as the rate of activity increases, I find that it is becoming harder to keep up with all the activity. Many times I find myself rereading an old thread 500 comments long trying to figure out where I last left off reading. If there is an improvement DC needs, it is in making the forums easier to navigate and stay on top of ongoing threads. It would be nice if DC had a feature to drop me off at the last post that I read on the particular thread that I read before (similar to the Google reader suggestion mentioned above). I know that a feature like that is difficult to implement but it is the one thing I can think of that really would improve the site.

I think its important to point out that changes to a site like this could be counter productive. For every added feature, there is also added bloat, which could confuse newcomers and annoy frequent visitors who never wanted the feature to begin with. I agree with most on this forum that making small changes could do wonders for this site. I am not sure about big things. If it was up to me, I would start by trying to give the site an even cleaner look, removing features if necessary, before trying to add or change other things.

DC is truly a gem on the web. I would hate to see it ruined because it gets cut the wrong way. smiley 

PS: We need a Cody smiley.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2010, 12:10:33 AM »

It would be nice if DC had a feature to drop me off at the last post that I read on the particular thread that I read before

we really need to publicize this more, but on the "unread posts" page, if you click the round "new!" image it will do exactly that.
alivingspirit
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2010, 12:40:43 AM »

Awesome!  Grin I really didn't know that existed. This really makes me wonder about other features I don't know about.
That being said, its not exactly what I had in mind. DC is full of really long threads. It would be nice to know which posts I read and which ones I didn't. The new button takes you to the post that was posted after the last time that you looked at the thread. Many times I start reading when there are 30 posts and only read the first few posts which links to a different page and I don't bother to read the rest. When I come back later and discover there are 500 posts I would like to know what I read and what I didn't.

I can't believe all this time the new symbol was a button!
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2010, 02:50:21 AM »

maybe the new button needs to look more like a button? or say "click for new" or something on it? or maybe "newest" or "latest"?
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:15 AM »

i was thinking i would just make this the default behavior whenever you click on main link to a topic, to go to last read post; then it wouldnt matter if you clicked new button or not.
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2010, 03:47:14 AM »

i was thinking i would just make this the default behavior whenever you click on main link to a topic, to go to last read post; then it wouldnt matter if you clicked new button or not.
that is the best idea.
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2010, 07:05:01 AM »

No, please don't do that! I rely on the color of the link to draw my eye to threads I have already read before. I have even gone so far as changing the color in the usercontent.css file of my browser to make it stand out more.

If you change the default behavior, then the link color will change back to the default unvisited color for every thread whenever a new post is added. I'll never be able to tell previously read threads.

Stoic Joker
Honorary Member

View Profile WWW Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2010, 07:40:35 AM »

She's got a point there - I also use the visited link color method to identify where I've been.
40hz
Supporting Member

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2010, 07:54:38 AM »

I have even gone so far as changing the color in the usercontent.css file of my browser to make it stand out more.

Just out of curiosity, what color do you use?

smiley

Don't you see? It's turtles all the way down!
app103
That scary taskbar girl
Global Moderator

« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2010, 01:16:43 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what color do you use?

smiley

#aa00aa (which is the default color for visited links on my system)

The whole thing is here: http://www.donationcoder....m/index.php?topic=18548.0

cyberdiva
Supporting Member

« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2010, 01:33:57 PM »

Awesome!  Grin I really didn't know that existed.
Me, neither!  embarassed  I even posted earlier in this thread about how much I liked the "Unread Posts" feature and how I use it all the time....duh. 
CodeTRUCKER
Supporting Member

Bush Flying... where I'd rather be.

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2010, 02:28:46 AM »

Yes, I know it has been a while since this thread had a pulse, but...

I was Looking at the Badges page and noticed that except for the badge, there are no explanations of what the badges are for?  Perhaps I'm just dense.  embarassed

Does that qualify me for the "Badge of disCourage?"

I applaud those that refuse to commit "intellectual suicide."

Truth, unlike opinion, tradition, etc. will always be able to stand on its own.  Truth is not a static, but a living entity and will perpetually impart life; therefore, any "truth" that does not or can not impart life can not be Truth.

I am persuaded the only reason bad men have succeeded is not because good men have done nothing, but that good men did not do enough.

An Open Letter to My Friends

Notice: - Unless stated otherwise, I receive no compensation for anything I post here.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2010, 05:48:39 AM »

there are no explanations of what the badges are for?

sounds like maybe i broke this when i added the latest badge.. i'll fix.

FIXED.  Thanks for spotting that CodeTRUCKER  thumbs up
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 05:59:17 AM by mouser » Logged
CodeTRUCKER
Supporting Member

Bush Flying... where I'd rather be.

« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2010, 09:22:58 AM »

FIXED.  Thanks for spotting that CodeTRUCKER  thumbs up

You're welcome! smiley

I applaud those that refuse to commit "intellectual suicide."

Truth, unlike opinion, tradition, etc. will always be able to stand on its own.  Truth is not a static, but a living entity and will perpetually impart life; therefore, any "truth" that does not or can not impart life can not be Truth.

I am persuaded the only reason bad men have succeeded is not because good men have done nothing, but that good men did not do enough.

An Open Letter to My Friends

Notice: - Unless stated otherwise, I receive no compensation for anything I post here.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  

Jump to:  
   Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  

DonationCoder.com | About Us
DonationCoder.com Forum | Powered by SMF
[ Page time: 0.043s | Server load: 0.08 ]