topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 6:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Split one screen into two virtual screens  (Read 6066 times)

curious69

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Split one screen into two virtual screens
« on: March 12, 2011, 04:05 AM »
For text processing and web pages, I like to rotate screens 90 degrees away from landscape into portrait mode.
Laptop screens can not be turned.

So instead of splitting the screen into 2 small screens I want one LONG TALL screen to see entire long pages of text split into 2 parts, side by side.

So I want a "virtual portrait mode"  for laptop wide screens. Any way to do that? Any software available?

So turn a 1600 x 900 screen into a virtual
800x1800 screen (width x height into width/2 x height*2)

Split the screen into 2 halves, but then snake the screen through the 2 screens. I.e, the upper half of the screen is in the left screen, the lower half in the right screen.

Line 1                 Line 801
Line 2                 Line 802
Line 3                 Line 803

Line 800               Line 1600
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:39 AM by jgpaiva »

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: split one screen into two virtual screens
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 05:38 AM »
Hi!

I have moved this post to a new thread and moved to the software discussion, as it was unrelated to GridMove.

Although I can see quite some use on what you're saying, I honestly have no idea how to do it, maybe someone else will?

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Split one screen into two virtual screens
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 05:55 PM »
I've never used a laptop more than a few seconds since I'm lost without a standard keyboard.  So this idea may be stupid and/or impossible:

Would it be possible to stand the laptop on the desk on one edge so that the screen is in portrait mode, and attach a keyboard so you can still type?

Don't know about the other logistics but evidently somebody came up with the same idea I did in the past using a large hinge on a desktop monitor to tilt the screen 90 degrees instead of buying expensive monitors that were taller than wide. :)

Mattphoes

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Split one screen into two virtual screens
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 07:14 PM »
Hi,

it was a while ago but I had a Laptop that offered such function with their extended video driver software. I dont recall wich it was but it may be worth checking whether your extra software coming with your video card may offer the requested function.