topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday March 18, 2024, 10:31 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: eBoostr, now version 4  (Read 17103 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
eBoostr, now version 4
« on: April 22, 2010, 10:13 AM »
I have just upgraded to the new eBoostr Pro 4. I am certain it has made things happen just a little faster on my 32-bits Vista. Not much, but faster all the same.

Although you may have purchased 4GB of RAM for your system, 32-bit Windows can only use up to 3.25GB. That’s nearly 750MB of memory that is not being used! eBoostr is able to access this “hidden” memory and will put it to work for you and your system.
-eBoostr

http://www.eboostr.com/
http://www.eboostr.c...l?lang=en#compare_v4

« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 03:44 PM by Curt »

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: eBoostr, now version 4
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 08:10 AM »
I used this with great result on a slow-ssd netbook.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 05:01 AM »
worth a try - i'd be happy if speeds up the load time of my commonly used programs. i can't say i've noticed the built in ReadyBoost making much difference (it may have even slowed things down for me), though they sound like very similar cache managers.

sajman99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:18 PM »
At $39.99 for the full Pro version, I would hope the "boost" is more than marginal. :-\

So you guys are indicating this isn't smoke and mirrors, but it's in fact a significant performance enhancement? I admit skepticism, but I'm also curious.

justice

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 06:40 AM »
Well it was beneficial for me because the netbook was slow due to harddisk thrashing - basically it creates a cache for frequent harddisk reads/writes. So although windows explorer might already be in the ram - the thumbnails in a photo folder were read from eBoostr. (xp system) You can ask eBoostr anytime to repopulate the cache.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 08:57 AM »
i gave it a try but i've uninstalled it now. i couldn't really tell if there was much difference - using the comparison speed tool indicated that things were loading about 15% quicker - which isn't really noticeable for me (that was using RAM and a usb stick).

i'm sure it all depends on what hardware you have though, so i wouldn't knock the program - it's just not right for everyone. if it was cheaper i'd have considered keeping it.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 09:04 AM »
I have it installed under Windows 7 64bit with 4GB RAM and it's very stable and you don't even know it's there. Is it making a difference? I can't tell... I really bought a license (for which I received a free upgrade to 4) for either a netbook or my old XP machine with 2GB RAM. However, I don't have access to either at the moment so am playing with it under this setup. Hmm... wonder if it works on VM?

At any rate, I am pretty sure that it's effects are marginal at best on my setup, but I do think it's worth a look if you have older hardware on which you've hit the glass ceiling of RAM upgrade-ability (is that a word?).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 10:20 AM »
upgradability / upgradeability :up:

up·grade
Pronunciation:     'əp-ˌgrād, ˌəp-'
Function:           transitive verb
Date:               1901

: to raise or improve the grade of: as a : to improve (livestock) by use of purebred sires b : to advance to a job requiring a higher level of skill especially as part of a training program c : to raise the quality of d : to raise the classification and usually the price of without improving the quality e : to extend the usefulness of (as a device) f : to assign a less serious status to <upgraded the patient's condition to good>
intransitive verb : to improve or replace especially software or a device for increased usefulness

–up·grad·abil·i·ty or up·grade·abil·i·ty \ˌəp-ˌgrā-də-'bi-lə-tē\ noun
 –up·grad·able or up·grade·able \ˌəp-'grā-də-bəl\ adjective

© 2005 Merriam-Webster, Incorporated

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 11:23 AM »
 ;D Thanks Curt!

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 06:39 AM »
At $39.99 for the full Pro version, I would hope the "boost" is more than marginal.

Time-limited offer, right now:

Offer Only Available to Users of eBoostr 4 Trial Version
Download eBoostr 4 PRO today for just $14.99!
http://www.eboostr.com/campaign_pro.html

Edited:
30 day money back guarantee
2011-03-08_133703.gif

« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 06:48 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2011, 10:57 AM »
Thanks, Curt. I uninstalled eBoostr 4.x a couple of months ago and haven't looked back. Really haven't noticed any difference in the performance of my computer, but then I'm not sure that in the last few months that I using eBoostr it was really working. Often the caches that I'd had it create were inactive and I'd have to manually start them up.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Thanks, Curt. I uninstalled eBoostr 4.x a couple of months ago and haven't looked back.

-this doesn't tell much, does it. You uninstall anything and everything!   :P

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2011, 12:34 PM »
Thanks, Curt. I uninstalled eBoostr 4.x a couple of months ago and haven't looked back.

:-[

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2011, 01:00 PM »

Whereas you install anything and everything? :P

*friendly poke*
- carpe noctem

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2011, 05:59 PM »
-close ;-)

I install and uninstall, mostly. The total number of programs is almost consistent.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 08:19 AM »
-close ;-)

I install and uninstall, mostly. The total number of programs is almost consistent.

And what is that magical number, Curt  ;) For myself, after years in the 310+ range, I'm down to 182 application installations (which is not entirely accurate, it's the number reported by Your Uninstaller! PRO and doesn't include software that ships without an installer).

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 09:53 AM »
-for maybe a year the number of installed programs has been "in the 310+ range", say between 330 and 360. But you probably use more programs than I do ;-)

What really gets to me is the long list of $hareware programs I have purchased a license for, but don't even have installed. Corel, several Magix / Xara programs, etcetera; they were expensive, but I never used them. Right now I am actually in need of cash for my daily existence, because I were spending too much money last month, on buying software (I most likely won't use)! Hmm... Oh yeah, that,  and on pizza take away! :-)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 11:46 AM by Curt »

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2011, 11:23 AM »
-for maybe a year the number of installed programs has been "in the 310+ range", say between 330 and 360. But you probably use more programs than I do ;-)

What really gets to me is the long list of $hareware programs I have purchased a license for, but don't even have installed. Corel, several Magix / Xara programs, etcetera; they were expensive, but I never used them. Right now I am actually in need of cash for my daily existence, because I were spending too much money last month, to buy software (I most likely won't use)! Hmm... Oh yeah, that,  and on pizza take away! :-)

You're singing my song, Curt! I have hundreds of $5 to $150+ (e.g. Omnipage Pro) apps that I own licenses for but don't have installed. What kills me more are the programs that I still have installed that I doubt I'll ever use (Xara Designer Pro 6, Corel Paintshop Pro X3, ArtRage Pro 3... see a trend? I'm a sucker for graphics programs that I never, NEVER ,use. Another example is PowerGREP 4 - even paid for the upgrade from 3. I've owned it for five years and have never used it. Another? ArcGIS ($1100!)... <sigh>

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2011, 11:43 AM »
-oh, I really must try the new version of ArcGIS Desktop!
Thanks for the recommendation!  :up:

I too need to figure out why our Carol is pleased with Xara Designer Pro 6.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 11:59 AM »
Well... I like Xara Designer enough (I have bought every version since 1, even after the upgrade to v.3 followed within a couple of months by a split in the product line between regular and Pro feature sets. You can guess which line I started buying then? Yup, the Pro line. Doh!). I just don't do that much graphics work on my computer. I know it's there and it comforts me... I just don't need it very often.

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2011, 05:39 AM »
Beware. This program caused my XP to hang when I restarted.

To be fair though, it may have something to do with my enabling the not recommended RAM section but by the time I restarted, that cache has since been disabled and I was using a cache from an external HD.

It didn't completely hang but the Operating System would literally hang before resuming and then hang up again before resuming again with no signs of any programs taking up 100% usage in Process Explorer.

It did seem like it boosts a program by 15%. Ironic considering how I couldn't find the comparison tool Nudone mentioned and was judging purely by the speed of some of the heavier programs like Firefox. Comparison wise I would equate this to having Process Tamer enabled.

Oh and I only have 2gb of ram. Not sure if that was the main reason for the hang up.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2011, 08:03 AM »
I guess this program is java based that's why it is taking resources and hangs irrespective of how much RAM you've on machine.

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2011, 08:16 AM »
Hmm... I didn't see any of those problems under XP 32-bit or Win7 64-bit... Doesn't mean that you're not seeing them, of course! NB the whole idea of eBoostr is to give some oomph to systems with less than 1GB RAM, so I don't think that your 2GB of RAM is a factor.

Like I said, I wax and wane on the issue of whether or not I think eBoostr does anything. I have 4GB of RAM on my system, so my system isn't going to benefit as much as lower spec systems might, but I've never been able to tell how much of the perceived performance boost I see when I install and configure eBoostr is due to the placebo effect... Certainly, I never notice a performance hit when I uninstall it.

YMMV

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2011, 09:01 AM »
Beware. This program caused my XP to hang when I restarted.
I guess this program is java based that's why it is taking resources and hangs irrespective of how much RAM you've on machine.

No Java.

But maybe the external drive is reading a little too slow?:

USB 2.0 ... flash drive with minimum 2.5MB/sec random read
-System Requirement

Edited: you may find an improvement if you use the internal drive instead.

:tellme:
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 09:03 AM by Curt »

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Can you use the internal drive? The only options I saw was an external drive and the RAM. Note that I'm not sure if there's a difference between the .exe of the trial and the full since I couldn't figure out the download except for the free download (there are no download links in the buy now version) and then I just entered the license key from there.