Welcome Guest.   Make a donation to an author on the site April 21, 2014, 09:48:04 AM  *

Please login or register.
Or did you miss your validation email?

Login with username and password (forgot your password?)
Why not become a lifetime supporting member of the site with a one-time donation of any amount? Your donation entitles you to a ton of additional benefits, including access to exclusive discounts and downloads, the ability to enter monthly free software drawings, and a single non-expiring license key for all of our programs.

You must sign up here before you can post and access some areas of the site. Registration is totally free and confidential.

The N.A.N.Y. Challenge 2012! Download dozens of custom programs!

Forum Home   Thread Marks Chat! Downloads Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Reply  |  New Topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Version 1.0  (Read 13190 times)
f0dder

[Well, THAT escalated quickly!]

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:15:11 AM »

Version 1.0 released, grab it at http://fsekrit.donationcoder.com  cheesy

Many thanks to Stefan for the original idea, and for being very patient with me. I've spent more time developing this than I think is reasonable, at least considering my own standards. But now it's done, hopefully pretty stable and usable, and... go download, already tongue

Here's the post that started it all: http://www.donationcoder....um/index.php?topic=1838.0

- carpe noctem
allen
Charter Member

Powered by Beard

see users location on a map View Profile Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 05:02:41 AM »

fsekrit is uber-cool, man.  A couple little things I think it's missing.

1) Some sort of file > open dialog to import a text file
2) Remember window size on a per-.exe basis.  Some files are wider than others and, surely, I can't be bothered with resizing my own window Wink
3) Take a few command line parameters -- so I can launch fsekrit with the file name and text file to use as the document source already predefined.  This would make it possible to encrypt a text file on the fly using a text editor that supported external tools.

Edit: Yup, window size remembering is working nicely.  I forgot to move one of the files to 1.0
« Last Edit: January 31, 2006, 05:06:32 AM by allen » Logged
VSiAQ
Charter Honorary Member

View Profile Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 02:16:31 AM »

Just a little question before I download fsekrit.

Does it support Unicode? I have to work with Unicode all the time, because my native language is Vietnamese.

Thanks a lot.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

see users location on a map View Profile WWW Read user's biography. Give some DonationCredits to this forum member
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 02:25:49 AM »

its only 70k download and doesn't install anything, so its safe to try.
i'd like to know the answer to that question as well, why not download it and let us know if it does?
VSiAQ
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 03:11:41 AM »

It does NOT support Unicode.

It displays Unicode correctly as long as I haven't saved the executable file. After that, everything goes mad. Characters turn to "?" symbols.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 03:12:59 AM »

f0dder may be able to fix this, i'm looking forward to seeing his reply!
f0dder

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 04:45:53 AM »

Funny coincidence, I was actually thinking about unicode when I woke up half an hour ago - then I turn on my box and see this post smiley

I want to support unicode for the next version. I'm not sure whether to save in UTF-16 (windows internal format) or UTF-8 (more compact format), though. UTF-8 might bloat the executable size a bit...

- carpe noctem
VSiAQ
Charter Honorary Member

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 05:09:13 AM »

UTF-8, please. smiley

I think the executable size isn't the most important point to focus on. Today we have hundreds gigs of hard disk to waste. smiley
f0dder

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 05:14:33 AM »

I think the executable size isn't the most important point to focus on. Today we have hundreds gigs of hard disk to waste. smiley

True - and even on a floppy, ~100kb isn't too bad. USB flash drives are even larger, and probably more common than floppy disks today, too. I'm a bit brain-damaged by my assembly background though, and still take pride in small and efficient software  dance

- carpe noctem
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 06:02:10 AM »

Veeeery cool , thank you!

Seams to be correctly that what i am looking for.
I go to try this out.

Size matters says my women but since i want to have a few password.exe on my CD it's nice to have its size so small.
Remember for 100gig harddiscs there are better other tools to solve this issue.
I want to use this tool on CDs to store my own licences, in case i lend out it so no one can use my licence code
but the code is right by hand if i self need it.
And maybe i store my passwords now on my USB-Stick with fSekrit.
And my own tips on the network share, so no admin can read them anymore  Wink
I can even eMail an fSekrit.exe with an secret password in it or with the wlan key for my mates, or...
...thank you, f0dder.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:11:04 AM by Stefan » Logged

Greetings, Stefan.
AbteriX
Charter Honorary Member

Member #520

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 06:29:33 AM »

Here a few step by step screenshots. Text will follow. If anyone want to make an howto with this shots... go ahead.

double click on the fSekrit.exe
enter the text you want to encrypt
choose "Save as..."
choose an path and an name for the xxxxx.exe
enter an password you like, reenter it and press [OK]
your new xxx.exe is created
close fSekrit
Test your new xxx.exe by double click on the new xxx.exe
enter the password
voila :-)     Thank you Mr. f0dder.

All screenshots taken and modifyed with Mr.Mousers great Screenshot Captor tool. Thank you too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 06:40:49 AM by Stefan » Logged

Greetings, Stefan.
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2006, 06:37:08 AM »

fun tutorial stefan.

by the way i want to say thanks to stefan as well for this great idea.  it's really a thrill when a good idea posted by someone on this forum can turn into the butterfly of a good program, all before our eyes  Thmbsup
f0dder

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2006, 06:37:56 AM »

Hehe, great little guide there Stefan, thanks!  Thmbsup

- carpe noctem
nudone
Cody's Creator
Columnist

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 11:57:57 AM »

must say genius idea and program realisation. well done f0dder and stefan.
mxn
Participant

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 10:55:05 AM »

Nice little app! smiley
A very similar app is Steganos LockNote http://www.steganos.com/?content=locknote&language=en, which has a few additional features, like searching in the file and creating an encrypted exe from an existing text-file by dragging it into the program window, which creates an exe-file in the same folder with the same name as the txt-file. Also it's icon has got more colours  Wink
On the negative side, it takes almost 300 kb, which is more than 7 times the size of fSekrit! I bet the huge image in the about dialog uses about the same space as this whole program does. smiley

My whishlist:
• Ability to convert txt-files by dragging and dropping into program
• Unicode (UTF-8) support would be nice, but let the user have the option to download a version without unicode with smaller filesize.

Keep up the good work!
mouser
First Author
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 11:03:21 AM »

i also would like drag and drop txt file convert.
allen
Charter Member