ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Advice on keyboard shortcuts.

<< < (3/5) > >>

Curt:
... they both have Time Freeze installed, so in the unlikely event of a disaster I always have a way out.
-pilgrim-online (April 22, 2010, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

Have you (or anyone else reading this) tried Time Shuttle ?
I have been wondering if it is as good as they say, but I don't feel comfortable trying it without first knowing some more. Preferably from some DC members ;-)

rjbull:
Keyboard Tweaker is incredibly easy to use as all the settings are made through a single GUI window and when you click apply they are added to a .ini file so there is no writing needed directly to the configuration file.
-pilgrim-online (April 22, 2010, 07:35 AM)
--- End quote ---

HoeKey gives you a popup window that lists the hotkeys, but you have to edit its INI file with a text editor to change or add anything (as you do with AHK).  Not difficult, but more effort and more possibilities for errors.

Do you have a link for Keyboard Tweaker, please?

Another one that some people like (not tried by me) is Clavier.  This does appear to have a GUI means of adding keys.  However, I'm not sure if it's quite as powerful as HoeKey in other ways.  E.g., HoeKey can kill the current process, and has features to hide and unhide windows on a stack.  I don't see those on a very quick glance at the Clavier doc.  The latest version does come in Unicode as well as non-Unicode and 64 as well as 32-bit versions.

pilgrim:
Curt Never heard of it till I saw your post but their software seems to be pretty good. I personally use ERUNT and Acronis TI. Just had a look at your link and it seems a pretty useful program but the set-up I have gives you more options, ERUNT is free and the latest version of ATI is the same price as Time Shuttle, in fact you should be able to pick up ATI even cheaper especially v11 which is what I use, also depending on what make of hard drive you have you can get an older copy of ATI free and upgrade quite cheaply.

rjbull The link is as follows: http://www.stud.usv.ro/~alexbu/target.php?target=keyboard

I had a bit of time spare yesterday and tried the 3 programs I said I would without any success.

Keyboard Tweaker: This did not seem to match up any of the keys with what was shown in the GUI. Different mapping?

HotkeyP: I set Ctrl + E to run mailto: but when I tried it the Ctrl key had not registered so it ran on the E key but I could no longer use it to type with.

HoeKey: In the default settings it shows Win + N for Notepad, so I tried adding Win + W for Wordpad but it never worked.

When I have more time I will have another go but having had a look around I was reminded that there are already 2 pieces of OEM software that control hotkeys and I am wondering if having KeyScrambler installed might be affecting things.

I just realised that I never mentioned it before but the Netbook is a Samsung NC10.

yksyks:
The KeyScrambler is most probably the culprit. There's no reason for not registering the Ctrl-E in HotkeyP, for example. I've just verified it, you can enter it either directly (by pressing Ctrl and E keys together), or typing E only and clicking the Ctrl checkbox then. If neither of these methods works I'm afraid you're lost with all programs of this type.

pilgrim:
yksyks I think your last comment might be right. I have tried again several times and even with KeyScrambler disabled it made no difference although I do not actually think that KeyScrambler is the problem because I also have it on my PC and it does not interfere with any of the hotkeys that I have made on there.
As I said in my last post there are 2 pieces of OEM software that have control of certain hotkeys and when I had a quick look on The Samsung Netbook Forums it appears that there have been some issues with them in the past. As soon as I get the time I will have another look on there and if I cannot find any answers I might start a thread of my own to see if anyone on there has any ideas.
At least the replies on here turned up several programs that I never knew of, if I can find out what is blocking them there is still a possibility of getting one of them to work so from my point of view this thread has been worthwhile and thanks to those of you who have replied.
If I do sort it out I'll let you know, in the meantime if anyone can think of anything else I would be pleased to hear it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version