topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:46 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: HP Officejet 8500 Driver Installation  (Read 3935 times)

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
HP Officejet 8500 Driver Installation
« on: May 17, 2010, 08:37 AM »
Hi,

we have received this morning our brand spanking new HP Officejet 8500 Pro AIO.

Now I have read on different occasions that all of HP AIOs *require* the installation of the entire program suite on CD (incl. OCR etc.).

Does anybody know of a *tested* workaround for only installing the necessary driver components for network use, since I really dislike littering my HD with all this stuff?

Though I use a PC we also have a number of Mac users.

For any other hints and tips for using/installing/calibrating the unit I would also be grateful.

Regards, Brahman

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: HP Officejet 8500 Driver Installation
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 09:29 AM »
Now I have read on different occasions that all of HP AIOs *require* the installation of the entire program suite on CD (incl. OCR etc.).
They don't *require* anything but the driver.

Does anybody know of a *tested* workaround for only installing the necessary driver components for network use, since I really dislike littering my HD with all this stuff?
There's no real standard layout (it's more mood driven I suspect) to their Driver CD's, but I have ripped the drivers loose for network installs a few times.

Other option is look for the advanced/network install options (ominous warnings are a good sign you're getting close) in the standard (autorun) installer. - I've seen several variations on how to get to it... -  There will (/should be) options to install only the basics there.

brahman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 10:01 AM »
Thanks for your input.

I just went to HPs site and there are three drivers available: Basic, IT Professionals, and full.

Does anybody know the exact differences? (The HP descriptions don't seem very helpful)

I think I would want to go with the IT pro stuff.

OTOH I am not the admin of this machine, and I read the machine has a built in webserver. I have never used a network printer, but would it be possible to do the full install on one machine (the poor administrator's :() and then print/fax/scan by way of webserver without installing anything at all from all the other computers in the network?

The entire printer business has always been a complete mistery to me...  :-[

Thanks.
Regards, Brahman

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2010, 12:46 PM »
The objective (near as I can tell) is to skip the BloatWare, so either basic or pro should give you what you want.

The EWS (Embedded Web Server) is just for configuring the printers settings remotely (which I like & do frequently) - it's not going to help you in the driver department. Each machine should get its own copy of the (basic print/fax) driver. Scanning, as in scan to computer (typically) only works of the printer is connectly directly (via USB) to the computer it is scanning to (a rather key point they never seem to mention in the brochure...).