ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini Review of SugarSync and DropBox

<< < (6/9) > >>

wraith808:
The thread from their website:
I'm on my 30 day trial, and this 'feature' may be a deal breaker. The iPhone app for SugarSync limits the size of the files you can view. This is potentially a deal breaker since one of my purposes of investing in this or DropBox was to view documents on the road. DropBox had no problem displaying the same document. I don't see why SugarSync would limit their iPhone app in the size of the document that you can view. (For the record, it was an rpg book- it was 40.3 MB, and they are regularly that size). If this limit is a hard one that can't be changed (or that you're not open to changing), then as much as I like SugarSync's features, if it can't handle my workflow, then I can't use it...

Thoughts?

Re: iPhone Document Size Limit
Posted on 4/25/2010 7:41 PM    
We put some final limit based on empirical data. It's possible that more recent versions of the iPhone system are more stable and with more free memory available for apps. We will make a change int he next release to just give you a warning and you will be on your own. Thanks for the feedback.

--- End quote ---

JavaJones:
Quick feedback and changes. That's a good sign!  :Thmbsup:

- Oshyan

J-Mac:
I can't say for sure but I believe that the disclaimers in both the Dropbox and SugarSync TOS's regarding copyright violations and IP issues is a standard thing that you will find on any hosting-type service that offers a "Public" folder option where other people will be able to freely access all files in it. They are trying to separate themselves from the liability issues of having copyrighted materials in "public" accessed folders.

You knew the lawyers would have their say, didn't you?!  :P

Jim

wraith808:
I understand that on the public folders... but this part applies to private folders too (upload any files), and is the more troubling part.

You will only upload, post, submit or otherwise transmit data and/or files: (i) that you have the lawful right to use, copy, distribute, transmit, or display; or (ii) that does not infringe the intellectual property rights or violate the privacy rights of any third party (including, without limitation, copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret, or other intellectual property right, or moral right or right of publicity). Dropbox has adopted and implemented a policy that permits the deletion of files that violate this policy, and that permits the termination in appropriate circumstances of the accounts of users who repeatedly infringe or are believed to be or are charged with repeatedly infringing the rights of copyright holders. Please see the Dropbox Copyright Policy for further information at http://www.dropbox.com/dmca.

--- End quote ---

And the fact that it's purely in their discretion, and unlike SugarSync can be done without someone filing a violation. 

J-Mac:
I hadn't noticed that it was for private folders too. That is weird. I think I may ask them about it. I've had the premium subscription for two years now and didn't realize that. I don’t remember that being in the TOS when I studied it back at the start; I wonder if that was an amendment added later?

Thank you.

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version