ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Mini Review of SugarSync and DropBox

<< < (3/9) > >>

wraith808:
wraith808 - great comparative review.  I manage support at SugarSync and you're absolutely correct regarding locked files causing problems.  To be successful backing up data files, it's important to follow the software vendor's instructions to create a data backup file and let SugarSync back up the backup file. These products typically have the ability to adjust the frequency of backups. We talk about it here.

The reason for my post was to thank you for helping us improve our knowledgebase.  While we do have an article on how to move the Magic Briefcase , we only had a KB article with links to an FAQ about the limitations of our free 2GB plan.  I agree with you that it's important information, so we've created a dedicated article on the topic.
-Debbie (April 21, 2010, 11:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

Debbie,

Thanks for dropping by!  I actually found that KB on the Magic Briefcase- it was how I figured out how to move it.  But I thought that there would be some indication either in the extensive tutorials that you provide (which are very nice, BTW) or in the regular documentation on how to move it.  I found the KB easy enough... but to include it in the regular documentation would be nice.

Thank you also for the thoughts on backing up data files.  I didn't think about doing it in that manner- it would indeed be a great accessory to a good backup scheme in that way.  I've only used DropBox for documents, which I've found no problems with.  I also don't have the situation where I edit in more than one location at once, though.

I just did a bit more research, and from what it appears, the perfect cloud solution just isn't there.-wraith808 (April 21, 2010, 10:02 AM)
--- End quote ---
Have you looked at JungleDisk or any of the other Amazon S3 solutions?  I'd be curious to know where you find them failing.
-TheQwerty (April 21, 2010, 11:41 AM)
--- End quote ---

I actually bought a license to JungleDisk back when we had a discount on DC.  I never used it though, similarly to how I've never used a lot of the solutions I have bought licenses for (AJC Active Backup, Stardock Keep Safe, Backup4All, Acronis TrueImage).  It's a matter of getting started. 

JungleDisk also puts me off with its pricing.  When something has you paying per GB of storage, per GB transferred, per download request, per upload request... it seems like too much.  And though it may be reasonable, not knowing how many upload/download requests and such ahead of time that I'm likely to use is frankly scary.  I have no idea how much my first month will cost.

DropBox and SugarSync attracted me because of the fact that they're fire and forget.  I install the software, and if I copy something there- fine.  If not, that works too.  It took a lot of time before I actually started using DropBox... then as I did, I found myself using it more and more. SugarSync seems like it would keep that trending upward with the addtional features- so that if I want to do more I can.

SpiderOak looks like something I might look at also.

3of0:
I just created an account at Wuala, and it's got me excited.  (Ok, I get excited easily sometimes.)

- 1GB free storage
- Get more by either paying for it or sharing your hard drive.  Sharing your hard drive gets you Shared amount * %uptime.  So, sharing 10GB of space with 25% uptime gets you another 2.5GB totaling 3.5GB.  Also grants Pro status.
- Can also get more by purchasing additional space.  Also grants Pro status.
- Allows you to share with other users of Wuala.  Also allows you to share via a weblink so the program is not required.
- Runs in JRE so it's cross platform.  (I don't see anything for mobile yet.)
- You can set limits on upload and download.

Pro allows you to automatically backup files/folders & supports versioning (I haven't tried either of these yet).  (Interesting that I', not finding that information on the website, but only in the program.)

It's not as quick as dropbox, but for me sharing my roommates pictures she took with the bride and groom, it's a perfect solution for me and them.

There are also some community features, but I don't think I'll be using them as much.

JavaJones:
Wuala looks like an interesting model considering I have 1+TB of unused space and a 22/5mbit down/up broadband connection. :D

- Oshyan

mouser:
Welcome to the site Debbie and thanks for posting -- i think it speaks well of the company  :up:

wraith808:
- Get more by either paying for it or sharing your hard drive.  Sharing your hard drive gets you Shared amount * %uptime.  So, sharing 10GB of space with 25% uptime gets you another 2.5GB totaling 3.5GB.  Also grants Pro status.
-3of0 (April 21, 2010, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmmm... I don't care what kind of connection I have to the internet, or how much space I have, this makes me a bit leery of using it.  Who knows what might be shared using your hardware, and what kind of liability that puts you in danger of.  I might be a bit paranoid where that's concerned because of personal experience, but it screams DANGER to me.

Also, because you're using the HD space of unknown people which is in unknown conditions, unless they are stored more than once in your grid, if someone else's HD goes down, your files are FUBAR, aren't they?  And since LaCIE doesn't have control over the hardware that they're storing on, that's also a risk isn't it?  I might be overly cautious here... but I'm not feeling the love.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version